Class 1 div 2 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CIECO

I have a install with 6 HID fixtures that are not factory sealed. Do I need to seal off every fixture or just at the boundary?

templdl

If the fixures are within an area classified CL1Div2 and the fixtures are not rated for that area how would you be qualified to "seal the fixtures" making them suitable for that area? It has been of my experience that the devices must be UL listed for that application. If the manufacturerr has a UL listed field modification that is qualified for modification of the device that would be allowed which I doubt very much that a lighting fixure would have avaiable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Seals are not normally required for light fixtures, and Class I, Division 2 areas do not always require explosionproof fixtures. See 501.130(B)

CIECO

I have read 501.130. I don't think they need to be sealed but how many HID ballasts have you seen burn up? But that thought was just what made me ask. Most of the Xproof work I do every thing is speced as class 1 div 1 even when it's not necessary so its easy. And by the way the fixtures are class 1 div2.

I have a install with 6 HID fixtures that are not factory sealed. Do I need to seal off every fixture or just at the boundary?

Cl. I, Div. 1 labeled fixtures maybe factory sealed and do not require sealing in the field. The fixture would be so marked. In some applications wherte you need large wattage fixture, 250W or higher, you may be forced to use Division 1 rated fixture because of the T-rating. If this fixture does NOT indicate that it is factory sealed it woould require an external XP seal in both Div. 1 and 2.

Fixtures tested and labeled for Cl. I, Div. 2 do not require a seal.

There are so called 'restricted breathing' fixtures that have and internal seal that is not an explosionproof(seal), but it restricts the potential ignitable mixture inflow into the fixture. This labeling can be found on fixtures that are approved for both Cl. I, Div. 2 and Zone 2, but the restrictive breathing feature only applies in the Zone use.

Regardless of what Division or Zone you are in the T-rating is perhaps the most important - because it is most overlooked - feature on the fixture. The fixture maybe listed for the appropriate Class and Division, but if the T-rating exceeds the declared AIT for the area, your listing becomes meaningless. In other words it is as unsuitable for the area as a fixture without ANY labels.

Last edited:

CIECO

Good to know. Now just so I understand. The T-rating is the max temp of the fixture?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.