Class 1 Div 2 hazardous location reqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRPOWELL3

I have been asked to see what it would take to make one our systems class 1 div 2 compliant. Can I use a nema 4x enclosure in this location? If so, can pilot light etc be Nema 4 x, as well?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I have been asked to see what it would take to make one our systems class 1 div 2 compliant. Can I use a nema 4x enclosure in this location? If so, can pilot light etc be Nema 4 x, as well?
Depending on what is actually in the 4X box, it may be acceptable. The primary restriction is that there are no arcing, sparking or heat producing items in the box. Section 501.10 (B)(4) refers to other Sections that identify where explosionproof, rather than ?ordinary location,? enclosures are required in Division 2.

Similarly, the pilot light may be acceptable; but, in that case, it will probably be specifically ?marked? for the use. There are several potential markings. Without actually seeing the device it would be hard to tell.

wbalsam1

NEMA 4X enclosures are intended for indoor or outdoor to provide protection against corrosion, windblown dust and rain, splashing water, hose-directed water and the external formation of ice.

You are probably thinking of Type 7 enclosures for Class 1 groups A, B, C, and D. :smile:
Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.