Class 1 Div 2 Operator Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNR_Eng

Allen-Bradley PV+ is rated for Div. 2, simply states that it should be in an enclosure. Not sure what kind? AB Tech Support made the statement that only the front panel is rated for Div. 2. This can't be true since and AB 1761-NET-AIC+ is rated for use in Div. 2 areas.

1. What part of the PV+ is Div.2?
2. Can I use a NEMA 4 enclosure?

Ryan

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'll admit this one throws me a bit because I'm unfamiliar with product involved. I did Google searchs on "Allen-Bradley PV+" and "1761-NET-AIC+" and couldn't get a handle on it.

If you could possibly point me toward a webpage that describes it in more detail I believe I can answer your question.

RNR_Eng

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1761-in002_-mu-p.pdf 1761-NET-AIC REFER TO SHEET 5.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf PANELVIEW MANUAL. REFER TO CHAPTER 9

This is where the statement that the equipment is rated for Class 1 Div. 2.

In my understanding and review of the NEC 501:

Panelview is a solid state device, and will not reach 80% of the ignition temperature of the various gasses used in the plant.

Panelview rated not to exceed 130 degree F.

I should be able to put this in a standard enclosure with other increased safety pushbuttons and put a warning plate stating that the power must be disconnected before opening the enclosure door.

Any Thoughts?

Ryan[/url]

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
RNR_Eng said:

I should be able to put this in a standard enclosure with other increased safety pushbuttons and put a warning plate stating that the power must be disconnected before opening the enclosure door.

Any Thoughts?

Ryan

This is correct. A general purpose enclosure otherwise suitable for the weather environment would be acceptable under [2005] 501.105(B)(4).

To answer the original questions:

1. The operating unit itself falls under [2005] 501.105(B)(2) Exception.
2. Yes

nhee

I am not sure that in a Div 2 environment, with a standard enclosure the warning plate to disconnect power is required. If power needs to be disconnected, shouldn't the equipment be in an explosion-proof enclosure

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
nhee said:
I am not sure that in a Div 2 environment, with a standard enclosure the warning plate to disconnect power is required. If power needs to be disconnected, shouldn't the equipment be in an explosion-proof enclosure
Not necessarily. The instruction to post the warning came with the equipment. (Follow the links posted above) And the disconnecting means could be remote or in its own Division 1 enclosure.

Philosophically, they are simply saying don't work on this equipment energized. While this is always a good instruction, unless it was using intrinsically safe circuits, there is additional risk that even a minor arc caused by a misplaced tool could cause an ignition. Even non-incendive circuits could cause such an arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.