Class 1 Div 2 sealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovInc

First post here.

Can you please help me clarify the definition of "hermetically sealed" for class 1 div 2 (grp C&D)? If I have a level switch with a non-sealed relay switch in a Nema 4x enclosure, can I consider that the o-ring on the lid and chord grip seal the enclosure against vapors?

If not, my next question is if I get the switch with the EP enclosure, do I need an actual seal off for the cable or can I seal it some other way (quick connect fitting, chord grip, etc)?

They don't offer this particular switch with a nonincendive rating, and I'm trying to avoid conduit.

Thanks - Ty

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
NovInc said:
First post here.

Can you please help me clarify the definition of "hermetically sealed" for class 1 div 2 (grp C&D)? If I have a level switch with a non-sealed relay switch in a Nema 4x enclosure, can I consider that the o-ring on the lid and chord grip seal the enclosure against vapors?
NO! A hermetic seal completely excludes any potential for any outside gas to enter the switch body. A normal gasket does not do this.
NovInc said:
If not, my next question is if I get the switch with the EP enclosure, do I need an actual seal off for the cable or can I seal it some other way (quick connect fitting, chord grip, etc)?

They don't offer this particular switch with a nonincendive rating, and I'm trying to avoid conduit.

Thanks - Ty

I think your best bet is probably some kind of IS barrier system.

No offense but I think it would be best if you allowed someone with more knowledge in this area to deal with this problem. It is difficult at best to give advice on a forum like this because most of the time only some of the needed information is available.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Hermetically sealed units would typically be reed switches, mercury switches, some ?ice-cube? relays and similar constructions. For all practical purposes, ?hermetically sealed? is ?airtight? and, as Bob (petersonra) pointed out, a simple ?o-ring? won?t do the job. On top of that, you would still need some wiring method entry into the enclosure and, conduit or not, any o-ring would be by-passed.

You can still avoid conduit. For a non-explosionproof system, intrinsically safe and some non-incendive systems would work. You need to be very careful documenting them and collecting proper ?control diagrams? for a compliant installation.

With an explosionproof enclosure, there are a few ?cable only? wiring methods, such as Type-TC or PLTC, that are acceptable in Division 2. They will still require a seal at the enclosure. See [2005 NEC] 501.15(E).

Status
Not open for further replies.