Class 1 Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

In a class 1 Div 2 location if you have 4 lights do you have to put a seal at each or just a boundry seal? Also if going from class 1 div 2 to another class 1 div 2 room do you need boundaty seals between? Thanks in advance..

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
As a general rule, luminaires suitable for Class I, whether Division 1 or 2, do not need individual seals unless Section 501.15(A)(1)(2) applies in Division 1. Those few types that do need seals will be marked on the luminaire on or near the luminaire j-box. (Usually, if 501.15(A)(1)(2) does apply, it will also be marked.) If the luminaires weren't suitable for Class I, a seal wouldn't do any good anyway.

The second question is a bit more problematic. Unless the two rooms were classified, by reason of the exact same source(s), I personally believe it is prudent to have a seal. (but only one). You have to read the first sentence in 501.15(B)(2) very carefully. If the wall is used to define the boundaries, then the interior of the wall between the two Division 2 locations is unclassified.

Status
Not open for further replies.