Class 1 division 1 motor on roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

overamped

I have a supply blower motor and an exhaust blower motor on the roof of a mix room that contains hazardous gasses and liquids. The supply motor went bad and it's rated class one division one. Since it's on the roof and not in the room does it need to be rated for a hazardous location? I would think just seal offs would be fine.The exhaust motor sitting right next to it is not rated for hazardous locations and is just a typical motor.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a supply blower motor and an exhaust blower motor on the roof of a mix room that contains hazardous gasses and liquids. The supply motor went bad and it's rated class one division one. Since it's on the roof and not in the room does it need to be rated for a hazardous location? I would think just seal offs would be fine.The exhaust motor sitting right next to it is not rated for hazardous locations and is just a typical motor.

somewhere there should be a document of some sort that defines the limits of the classified areas.

i could kind of understand why the exhaust fan motor might be XP and not the supply fan motor, but not vice versa.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
They may both of been

They may both of been

They may both of been at one time. If the gas or vapor islight and rises it could be present when the motor is started, so both were probablyin the bubble at one point.

bobgorno

Is the exhaust fan within the exhaust air handling space? Then might be required to be D1. If out of the exhaust air stream general purpose may be OK, for example belt driven fan is in stream but motor is not.

As for supply fan motor most likely not D1 but knowledgeable person should review to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.