Class 1 Division 2 LED Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeMarsh

Hey Guys! I have an issue I found your forum-what a great place!

I am making an LED light for C1D2 and C2D1 locations. Its an LED light- I have it all figured out but I am running into trouble sealing the light between the PTFE gasket and my glass lens! I am getting an "Air" leak! I set up my own test to try and see if I could apply pressure to the seal to check for an accurate fit. I have a FLAT joint where the edge of my housing, has the PTFE gasket held against it, then the Glass lens is sitting on top of the PTFE gasket. I have a SS metal support ring that mounts it directly to my fixture housing. I can not get the light to "pressurize"(hold 1 psi) using a regulator to set the flow...

I am wondering if there is a liquid or a tape that meets UL 844 or UL 1203 that I can use to seal or at least add to the leak locations to try and stop the leak?

Thanks in Advance for your help!! Joe

JoeMarsh

so...UL 1203-
16.1 A corrosion-Inhibiting grease, such as petrolatum or soap-thickened mineral oils are usable on the metal joint surfaces before assembly...
16.2 The grease shall be of a type the does not
a) Harden because of aging
b) contain an evaporating solvent: and
c) cause corrosion of the joint surfaces

Now I see this and I wonder has anyone else used a Petrolatum and actually sealed an enclosure for a pressure seal before? Has to have been done before right?!!

JOE

Electric-Light

LEDs are fragile in a different way than glass. The smell you notice when you take a plastic product out of the package is organic vapors. LEDs are extremely susceptible to degradation from exposure to chemical vapors, including those given off by materials used in the construction of fixtures or industrial environment.

Sealants, paint, plastics, gaskets, as well as materials used in LED ballast can all give off gases that chemically degrade LEDs especially when it is heated from normal use.

www.cree.com/xlamp_app_notes/chemical_compatibility
http://www.osram-os.com/Graphics/XPic0/00161697_0.pdf/Chemical Compatibility of LEDs.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.