Class 1 Division 2 rating to non electrical components ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripsnub

We are specifying a new air compressor for use on a project in Vancouver BC. The compressor is to be located in a designated Class 1 Div. 2 area.

I received a quote from Sullair for a compressor with the hazard classification; however, the client is asking if the ?entire unit? will have the hazard rating ? Well this seems like an odd request as the rating applies to the electrical system and components, not the mechanical and non-electrical components - correct ? It doesn?t really make sense to me why the manufacturer of the compressor would say yes it applies to the entire unit as a classification rating; Was hoping to get some thoughts or insight through the wisdom of the forum :?

Thanks,

Steve

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It has been since the late 90's that I've dealt with the Canadian Electrical Code. At the time, "Zones" rather than "Divisions" was the prefered method of electrical area classification. The CEC followed the IEC methodology much more closely than the NEC.

It is possible that your client is moderately familiar with IEC methodology, where area classification may be used beyond electrical applications. It is a fairly common misunderstanding even in US applications.

To my knowledge, even in Canada, electrical area classification applies only to electrical instalations.

ripsnub

They seem content with the US NEC standard classifcations and that is what they requested. The compressor manufacturer said the unit that they will build and provide will meet the class 1 div. 2 hazard classificaition.
Guess the question is does this apply to the whole compressor unit. I was told since this post that it would as the entire unit has to be a UL listed piece of equipment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.