Class 2 question

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I have a 1/16 DIN display that is powered by 120V. it has a class 2/or may be 1(has a shielded cable) encoder that connects right near the 120V on back of the display,The encoder cable runs a few feet out of the display box to a turning wheel to display speed. That is having the 120 and class 2 pretty close together,is that ok? how else could this be accomplished.

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have a 1/16 DIN display that is powered by 120V. it has a class 2/or may be 1(has a shielded cable) encoder that connects right near the 120V on back of the display,The encoder cable runs a few feet out of the display box to a turning wheel to display speed. That is having the 120 and class 2 pretty close together,is that ok? how else could this be accomplished.

Not understanding your question. If this display is a manufactured assembly then where the 120V line cord and the LV encoder cable is is of no concern to you. It's been listed and approved.

Does this have something to do with your other question about installing a display in a box?

-Hal

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Thank you
Not understanding your question. If this display is a manufactured assembly then where the 120V line cord and the LV encoder cable is is of no concern to you. It's been listed and approved.

Does this have something to do with your other question about installing a display in a box?

-Hal
Thank you hbiss, Yes that is what I was asking, And I agree it was made this way, how else would you be able to use it.I am not sure that everything available is listed and approved. This one probably is, So in reading art:725 it would seem I have to make sure the line voltage and the class 2 need to be 1/4 inch apart from each other.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
CONDUCTORS need to be at least 1/4" apart. NOT THE CABLES coming out of the thing! You are not going to be dealing with conductors unless you open the thing up.

725 doesn't apply to you!

-Hal

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am assuming that the encoder cable is field connected to the device, and the spacing inside the device must be maintained as required in 725 when making the field connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.