Class 2 transformer in j box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wacokidd63

Occupation
Inspector
I know the transformer in the pic isn’t optimal by any means but if they can’t be put in a j box like this why is this one any different? It has the same thermal switch and goes directly into a single gang box. I don’t understand why it’s such a huge departure to some.

Attachments

• 98F3B88F-C7C7-4862-8363-BD4B8885A150.png
    98F3B88F-C7C7-4862-8363-BD4B8885A150.png
    544 KB · Views: 13

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I thought you needed a barrier between the class 2 conductors and the power conductors, not just the quarter inch. The picture above appears to have the LV conductors coming out the metal face which is the barrier.

Wacokidd63

Occupation
Inspector
I’ve decided I’m just gonna change out the whole thing just to be safe but just out of curiosity do you think this is dangerous? By that I mean do I need do this immediately because it being a serious hazard?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
know the transformer in the pic isn’t optimal by any means but if they can’t be put in a j box like this why is this one any different? It has the same thermal switch and goes directly into a single gang box.
Because it is designed to mount to a single gang box, not be just thrown in.

I’ve decided I’m just gonna change out the whole thing just to be safe but just out of curiosity do you think this is dangerous? By that I mean do I need do this immediately because it being a serious hazard?

I don't think there is any emergency, it's just not compliant and could cause a problem in the future. There is a reason the Code disallows certain things.

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.