Class 320 Meter Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a meter panel with a meter socket rating of 400 Amp Max; 320 amp continuous and a Device rating of 400 Amp Max 120/240 volts 1 phase 3 wire be used for a single family residence with a calculated load of 380 amps?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In the neighborhoods i work in I routinely see 600 and 800 amp services.

I wasn't doubting you, I just wanted to see what was there to cause that high of a load.
However, I see 400A services around me that I bet won't ever see 100A. "Bigger is better" is a lot of peoples thinking.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I wasn't doubting you, I just wanted to see what was there to cause that high of a load. ...
cubic money.

I'd like to know what size conductors your POCO hits it with. I'll bet nothing close to your load calculation.
I'd be more interested in the size of the transformer. Just imagine the customers attitude if the lights blinked every time both Telas hit the fast charge at the same time

Last edited by a moderator:

Carultch

In general yes.

The combination of residential continuous and non continuous loads does not exceed the equipment ratings.

Just to be clear on this, it is 100% noncontinuous + 100% continuous, that must add up to 320A, to use a 320A meter socket. Is this correct? If not, what am I not understanding?

By contrast, it is 100% noncontinuous + 125% continuous, that sizes the 400A breaker. So on occasion, as a consequence of this difference in sizing algorithms, you may have 320A meter sockets be incompatible with a load mix that fits on a 400A breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.