Class I Div II seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

wllthwa1

I have a job that requries ControlNet entering and exiting a Div II area from a non haz area in ridgid conduit. I also have 24VDC twisted pair entering and exiting the same area.

I believe both of these conduits need seals but they are not shown on the drawings.

Do they need seals?

wllthwa1:confused:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The ?general rule? in Section 501.15(B)(2) would require seals; however, there are four major Exceptions and whether any of them apply can?t be determined from the OP description. Even if a seal is ultimately required, it isn?t required to be explosionproof, simply ??identified for the purpose of minimizing passage of gases under normal operating conditions and shall be accessible.?

My personal opinion is this is one of the most convoluted concepts for US domestic applications in Classified locations - maybe the entire NEC.

bobgorno

Since ControNet cable is an RG6 type cable, I doubt you could seal the cable without damaging the integrity. You would have to seal the conduit of course, as Bob A. notes below. You'll need to review the exceptions carefully for the twsited pair.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
One of the things I believe we could deduce from the OP was we were discussing ?boundary seals? between a Division 2 and an unclassified location. In that case, we can pretty much ignore the cable construction. This is why I referenced Section 501.15(B)(2).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
wllthwa1 said:
Do they need seals?
If by entering and exiting you mean the conduits pass through without termination, they would not need seals if the conduit has no fittings inside or within 12" outside the D2 boundary.

If you are using 10' sticks, that means D2 boundary must be no more than 8' from entry to exit and you'd have position a stick of conduit so the ends are 1' into the unclassified area. The same goes if you're using 20' sticks of conduit except your entry and exit points can now be up to 18' apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.