Class II Div 1 Group G safe distance

crospwei

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician Instrumentation Tech
I work in a Sugar Packaging and Warehouse; we are having "differences of opinion" for safe distance for service outlets from the point of source of Sugar. What makes it a Class II Div 1 Group G except for the 24 hr. and 1/8 pile up rule. If there isn't buildup of 1/8 inch of dust after 24hrs of not being cleaned, then it is not Class II Div 1. If the area does meet those requirements, I need a $1000 dollar receptacle (explosion proof) if not we can use a less than $50 receptacle (standard handy box and receptacle).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would never even think of using a handy box in any type of processing area. I would be using a cast box, even if I am permitted to use a standard receptacle.

crospwei

Occupation
Thanks for the suggestion for the cast box. I was using the handy box as a price reference. I am looking for where does the Class II Div 1 area stop. If there is one area in the building that falls under that category how far do you keep going until you can start using a "Handy" box? I have a 400,000 sq ft warehouse and storage rooms. The disagreement is: that if there is one in the building that requires the XP receptacle then they all have to be the same. I am looking for a defined distance where the area can be considered a "normal" environment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is supposed to be a drawing or other document that defines the extent of classified areas.

It is not something decided by electricians or anyone else on an ad hoc basis using rules of thumb.

crospwei

Occupation
Thank you. Maybe I can get the engineer to take some responsibility and provide a drawing.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
500.4 Documentation.
Areas designated as hazardous (classified) locations or determined to be unclassified shall be documented on an area classification drawing and other associated documentation. This documentation shall be available to the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) and those authorized to design, install, inspect, maintain, or operate electrical equipment at the location.
This is not an optional code section, This documentation is required for all Classified locations.

crospwei

Occupation
lots of things have been "optional" here for years. OSHA has started to change the mindset. It will be a journey! Thanks

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
It might be cheaper to put a wall around the obviously hazardous area. Inside that area is hazardous and outside is not?? My mother worked in a bakery a long time ago and they took the flour storage area pretty seriously.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It hasn’t been optional in the NEC for over 20 years. About the only thing that has been relaxed is a PE stamp. Some local jurisdictions still require it.

The applicable standard is NFPA 499.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
With regard to explosion proof receptacles, see Sections 502.5 and 502.145.

The general philosophy for classifying hazardous locations is that, in open air, you cannot have a Division 1 location without having an adjacent Division 2 location. In Class II, there’s essentially no difference for the receptacle being in Division 1 or 2.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Thank you. Maybe I can get the engineer to take some responsibility and provide a drawing.
BTW, depending on the government agency that enforces worker safety, the person responsible to have proper documentation is your plant manager, it could even be the company CEO. Here in CA, enforcement can be brutal.