Class II, Div 2 rated enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtrevino

Which NEMA enclosure types are rated for Class II, Div 2 locations?

I have located a document by Hoffman that lists NEMA types 3, 4, 4X, 12, 12K, and 13 as dust tight enclosures listed for use in hazardous locations. Is this correct?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I doubt they are listed specifically for Class II, Division 2; but then, they don't have to be. Dustight is sufficient. See Section 502.10(B)(4).

The enclosure Types you listed are typically recognized to be ?dustight. See the notes to Table 110.28.

joshtrevino

I doubt they are listed specifically for Class II, Division 2; but then, they don't have to be. Dustight is sufficient. See Section 502.10(B)(4).

The enclosure Types you listed are typically recognized to be ?dustight. See the notes to Table 110.28.

Bob. Thank you for directing me to the code references. I do not have a 2011 Code in my office at this time. Do you know if the notes on Table 110.28 changed at all when they moved the table from 110.20 between the 2008 and 2011 Codes? I notice that NEMA 4 and 4X are not listed in the notes as dust tight.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The Table and its associated Section were introduced in 2008 as 110.20. The Table notes have not changed.

I suspect the "cut sheet" you found was simply noting the product met several enclosure Types. This means it was tested for each and all of them. If any of those Types were dusttight, the product is suitable [See Section 500.8(A)] under Section 501.10(B)(4)

Status
Not open for further replies.