Class II Div II but also GMP? - Sealing and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telaid

I have a piece of equipment ( a large ventilation enclosure ) that is being installed in a Class II Div II location that also must meet GMP. Therefore, all the conduits and fittings need to be stainless as well as c2d2. Within the enclosure i have lights, and receptacles (both Exp Proof) with conduits running into a hammond box with a Type Z pressurizing system.

Do I need to seal the conduit above the receptacle box and junctions boxes leaving the lights? What about the conduits leaving the hammond box. 502.10 appears to say no since im going from a classified to unclassified location (hammond box) per 502.15?

Per the code, it seems my hammond box should now be unclassified since its being purged but im stuck since this entire piece of equipment is located in a classified location. Not to mention im having trouble locating class II div II stainless sealing fittings and couplings ( know any suppliers)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
why would you need seals inside the pressurized box at all? everything inside the box is a non-hazardous area so you really don't need D2 rated equipment inside the box at all.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Telaid said:
Not to mention im having trouble locating class II div II stainless sealing fittings and couplings ( know any suppliers)

Suggestion.

Get a SS junction box. Install a normal (non-SS) sealing fitting inside the jbox.

Telaid

seals

seals

i dont need seals inside the pressurized box but what i was confused about is if i needed seals at the receptacles or anywhere.

GMP is Good Manufacturing Practices which is a pharmaceutical industry term. So essentially everything has to be stainless steel.

thanks

DGrant041

Dhope!

Dhope!

Telaid said:
GMP is Good Manufacturing Practices which is a pharmaceutical industry term. So essentially everything has to be stainless steel.

That's right--my old Safety Manager would NOT be proud of me for forgetting that.

I thinks it's part of the food industry--if I had paid closer attention to the annual training on that, I could tell you for sure.

I worked in a grain processing environment where they produced corn starch and gluten. None of the conduits there were stainless, just galvinized rigid. Has anyone else encountered this as far as a "Good Manufacturing Practices" requirement or is this a more stringent pharmaceutical spec?

Thanks.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Telaid said:
i dont need seals inside the pressurized box but what i was confused about is if i needed seals at the receptacles or anywhere.

Your post said the receptacles were inside the "enclosure".

Any conduit leaving the box needs a seal, unless the conduit can be protected by the pressurization system.

Are the receptacles explosion proof? i am not getting this arrangement.

is the ventilation enclosure not protected by the pressurization system?

Last edited:

Telaid

the layout

the layout

The enclosure is a walk in booth used for measuring dry chemicals. one side is open to the main building and people can walk in and out of it. The ventilation circulates air through filters and blows down onto the area where the measuring occurs to limit dust around the people in the booth. There are receptacles inside this area, explosion proof (c2d2). Mounted on the outside of the enclosure is a 2ft x 3ft box where the PLC and power are. Conduits run from the box to the receptacles and to the vent motor. The box will have a purge system on it. The area inside and outside the enclosure is rated as c2d2. So the factory area where this booth is installed is c2d2 as well as the inside area of the booth.

It seems that my conduits dont need sealing then since they are connected to the pressurized box? Is this correct?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I confess I had to read this a few times to get ?get the picture.?

If the PLC / Power enclosure is properly pressurized, then no additional sealing is required for raceways directly attached to it. See NFPA 496, Chapter 6 in general, and Section 6.2.3 specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.