Class II Division I and II Vendor Supplied Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazInspector

Good Day to all.

I have a client locally that is a manufacturer of machines for Class II locations and normally the machine build is in accordance with European standards, specifically IEC. The zones are generated by the machine and the equipment and installation currently is suitable for the zones generated. I have provided compliance consultation and inspection for local and European builds for them.

The question I have is this; my client has secured an order for two machines to be located in the US and in the past the hazardous areas due to combustible dust have never been part of the scope of supply for them. Because they have done a lot of engineering to allow their machines to be compliant in Zone 21 and Zone 22 (for local and European markets), they want to know if a machine complying with IEC standards for equipment and installation will be able to be accepted under your NEC.
Is there some allowance under you rules for an equal or better level of safety to be accepted?

One of the main issues they have is that the machine is automated and high speed so some of the equipment needed with UL approvals will be difficult to source, plus there would need to be major changes to the way the wiring was installed to meet NEC requirements I assume?

Any information on these matters is appreciated, thanks in advance.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Because they have done a lot of engineering to allow their machines to be compliant in Zone 21 and Zone 22 (for local and European markets), they want to know if a machine complying with IEC standards for equipment and installation will be able to be accepted under your NEC.
Not automatically

Is there some allowance under you rules for an equal or better level of safety to be accepted?
Possibly. If you have it available, see Section 506.9(A)(3).

The biggest problem is not listing/labeling, but "marking". See Section 506.9(C). Section 506.9(C)(2)(2) particularly requires an "AEx" rather than "Ex" or "EEx" mark. This is primarily because many foreign labs don't evaluate for "ordinary locations" requirements when certifying to IEC "Ex" standards.

I have been successful in having a "local" INTERTEK lab test products that a US domestic INTERTEK lab then certifies. I haven't done this with UL, but I suspect it would work pretty much the same. Both UL and INTERTEK have test laboratories in New Zealand.

HazInspector

Thanks for the information rbalex.
Unfortunatly no copy of NEC (and no real need or inclination to get it... yet).

Would it be possible to summarise/paraphrase 506.9(A)(3)? Possibly is a better answer than I was expecting. Also could you elaborate on the "not automatically" comment please?

I have been successful in having a "local" INTERTEK lab test products that a US domestic INTERTEK lab then certifies. I haven't done this with UL, but I suspect it would work pretty much the same. Both UL and INTERTEK have test laboratories in New Zealand.

There are some products available that come with dual European and North American markings but due to a restriction on their use in NZ for fixed wiring applictions, these are few and far between.

I doubt my client will want the added expense of testing european equipment for the American market, mainly because there are a few different devices but the volume to North America would not justify the added cost. Then again if this is the only way...

Thanks again!!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
506.9 Equipment Requirements.
(A) Suitability. Suitability of identified equipment shall be determined by one of the following:
(1) Equipment listing or labeling
(2) Evidence of equipment evaluation from a qualified testing laboratory or inspection agency concerned with product evaluation
(3) Evidence acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction such as a manufacturer's self-evaluation or an owner's engineering judgment
Informational Note: Additional documentation for equipment may include certificates demonstrating compliance with applicable standards, indicating special conditions of use, and other pertinent information.
NOTEs:​

1. Section 506.9(A)(1) is for NRTLs
  2. Section 506.9(A)(2) is for a State, County or Municipal test lab (I don't know of any that have ever been hazardous location qualified)
  3. The Informational Note only applies to Section 506.9(A)(3)

As for "automatically", neither IEC/ATEX/CE etc. are recognized in the NEC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.