Class II, Division I regulations for lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

timagain

I am trying to locate the rule and regulations for installing lighting in side of an Ammunition storage area. I have limited resources here in the desert of Africa. The NAVSEA OP 5 provides a link to this site, but I am having trouble finding the information I need. Any help would be great.

boyertj@hoa.centcom.mil

kentirwin

Re: Class II, Division I regulations for lighting

You state that the ammunition storage is class II div 1. See (2002 NEC) 500.5 (A) & (C) - Classification of Locations. Then look at 500.8 (A) Equipment. Then take a look Article 502 - Class II Locations. Beyond all of that - spec a luminaire listed for that area classification and use the appropriate wiring methods. One web site to look at is Crouse - Hinds. They manufacture a lot of classified area fixtures, etc. :D

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

I am concerned that the requirements are not outlined in the NAVFAC Standards. NFPA Standards do not usually apply to military applications unless they are specifically referred to.

timagain

Originally posted by rbalex:
I am concerned that the requirements are not outlined in the NAVFAC Standards. NFPA Standards do not usually apply to military applications unless they are specifically referred to.
The NAVSEA OP 5 refers to the NEC and the NFPA.

Thanks for the help guys, I found it.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

In that case does NAVSEA OP 5 itself specify the area as Class II? I'm not familiar with it.

If it does, then kentirwin's reply is fine and NEC Article 502 is all you need. If it doesn't, what is the basis for classification? The NEC alone isn't adequate to classify Class II locations and the only NFPA "Ammunition" standard, NFPA 495 - Explosive Materials Code, specifically excludes itself from military applications. NFPA 499 - Classification of Combustible Dusts and of Hazardous (Classified) Locations for Electrical Installations is very general, but it may be appropriate.

sandsnow

How is this classified due to dust in the air? Isn't the powder contained inside the case? I'm thinking small arms ammo here. Other types I'm not familiar with.
What is in the air that a spark or high surface temp would ignite?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

Larry,

you're now getting at my real question. I don't see how it was classified legitimately at all unless there's a "process" involved somewhere; simple storage wouldn't require electrical area classification - no matter what the ordnance.

I'm just not familiar with what "NAVSEA OP 5" is in the first place. A "command," an "operation," a "standard," etc.

If the locations is arbitrarily classified, it's still valid to use Art 502 as an installation standard, but that doesn't validate the electrical area classification in the first place.

Bob,
Navsea OP5 is short for Naval Sea System Command, OP5 - Operations Center 5. These guys comprise the design and specifying engineering branch for the U.S. Navy. They write the specifications that the inspectors have to abide by. As a result, their decisions take precedence over the inspectors/authority having jurisdiction, which is typically composed of personnel from the local military installation.

Hope this helps,
Stan

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I had to reread the entire topic. I sort of figured they were a command, but there is such an alphabet soup out there - I just didn't know. Some of my original puzzlement is still there though ? What was the basis for classification in the first place? Truthfully it seemed like gross over-classification.

The military has kept a representative on CMP 14 fairly consistently (USAF at the moment) and they are pretty sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.