Class IIIB Combustible Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcengineer

I am working on a project where they store cooking oil and used motor oil (for recycling). The architect has built a control room for what they are calling the Class IIIB combustible liquid.

From my understanding of this, the flash point is 200F, and the processing of this liquid takes place at a maximum temperature of 150F. I don't believe any special considerations for power and lighting are necessary for the control room. But I wanted to get some input from the forum since I have never dealt with classified liquids (other than gasoline dispensing).

I don;t believe the storage or processing (filtering) of this liquid would create a "classified" location in the eyes of the NEC.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

DC

sgunsel

Architects and engineers frequently incorrectly specify classified areas, reasoning that it "can't hurt", or "better to be safe". Obviously, there are significant installation and ongoing operational costs associated with the wiring and devices in classified areas. Having said that, there very well may be perfectly valid reasons for the classification, such as anticipated higher temperatures, lower flashpoints, and additional processing with volatile materials. Why not ask the architect? The rest of us do not know what is really being considered based on your description. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.