Clearance 480 Volt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Installing a air compressor that is about 10 ft by 6 ft on a metal skid . The controller cabinet is 3 ft in front of a concrete block wall . I told my boss it needs 3 ft 6 " from the face of the panel to the block wall . He says no he wants it installed at 3 ft . I said I understand the code calls for 3' ft 6 " from the face of the cabinet . Its a 2 X 3 ft controller cabinet with 200 HP motor 480 volt feed . If you open the cabinet any live parts are 3 ft 7" from the block wall . Would you push the issue or leave it as it is ???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As mentioned you could cover that section of the wall with an insulating material. If indoors a glued up layer of drywall would do.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As mentioned you could cover that section of the wall with an insulating material. If indoors a glued up layer of drywall would do.
I just ran into that on an MV project just last week. The contractor bidding the job was going to put up a corrugated steel wall at 6ft from the front of the gear, but it would interfere with an equipment access hatch. I told him he could put up a stick wall with sheetrock at 3' (it's 2400V). But they used some leftover concrete tile backer board over the stick frame because they already had it. Then the AJH called it concrete and the distance became a problem. So I had them put sheetrock on top of the tile backer with Liquid Nails, the AHJ was fine with it. Ultimately they paid MORE than if they had just stuck to the sheetrock to begin with of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.