Clearance to an incoming underground service end box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag7dio

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone know what is the minimum width and height required to be able to walk to an incoming underground service end line box located in a vaulted area?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
No.
What is a "incoming underground service end line box"?
Is a "vaulted area" inside a vault?
Is this installation under the scope of the NEC?
Did you look in 110.26?

Mag7dio

Occupation
Electrician
When a Utility co provides Service from a manhole underground, many times it is not possible to enter directly into SS or Meter, the utility co specifies a box be installed as close to the point of entry as possible. (which is lockable by them)
The vaulted area in this case looks like a tunnel that is 12' deep, 4' wide with an arched ceiling approx 7' at the highest point of the arch made of stone and brick, vaults typically run past the building line (underground), in many cases it runs out under the sidewalk.
Equipment other than that End line box are not allowed in "vaulted" areas
With others having pipes coming out of the vaulted area (Gas, water, sprinklers) including valves and such for 4", the walkway to the end box will become very narrow 24" if luckyat some points.
Not at office to check book was hoping to provide an answer during this coordination meeting that will last almost all day :cautious:. it may have to wait till i get back to office, not that i'm sure this situation will even be covered anywhere in the book.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The NEC addresses the working space 'around' the equipment and the ability to exit that space. It does not directly mention clearances required in order to get to the equipment.
For example if your vault is sufficient size to meet the working space requirement plus the ability to leave that space (i.e. 2X the working space depth) you conceivably would be compliant even if you had to crawl into the vault. Of course, OSHA requirements for confined spaces would then come into play.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Ok but I am still not sure is this utility box under the scope of the NEC or the utility? Where is the service point (see NEC definition) if ahead of the service point the NEC does not apply
All day coordination meeting? "meetings, the practical alternative to work".

Mag7dio

Occupation
Electrician
Meetings have become more time consuming on some projects in NY than the actual work.:D
I understand the larger projects requiring coordination and other meeting but the smaller ones just because the owner is spending a small fortune on 1200sf space baffle me.

Status
Not open for further replies.