clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaker

First let me say that I am not involved in the electrical field. I am a truck driver transporting mobile homes. As the years have gone by, homes are getting taller and taller. I just delivered one this past thursday that was 15'10 1/2" tall....and I hit a traffic lite in one town I went thru. Lucky for me no damage to lite, but sure messed up roof edge on house. My ? being, according to NFPA/NEC, is there not a minimum height requirement for signs, lites, etc, that cross over where commercial vehicle traffic travels? I have heard that the minimum was 16-18 feet, but I really don't know where to look to find this requirement. Can anyone out there please help??? Thanx, Bob

iwire

Staff member
Re: clearances

Shaker, wires that are installed under the control of the National Electric Codes should be 18' feet above grade for road crossings.

225.18 Clearance from Ground.
Overhead spans of open conductors and open multiconductor cables of not over 600 volts, nominal, shall conform to the following:

(4)5.5 m (18 ft) ? over public streets, alleys, roads, parking areas subject to truck traffic, driveways on other than residential property, and other land traversed by vehicles, such as cultivated, grazing, forest, and orchard
The problem for you is that 99% of the overhead wires you are running into (bad pun) are not covered by the NEC.

The power company owned wires are subject to a different standard, the NESC I do not know that height requirement.

The lowest wires are typically cable company wires and I have no idea what rules they go by.

Traffic lights are most likely mounted at a height set by the DOT (this is just my guess)

Isn't 15'-10" a little tall for public streets? :confused:

[ August 16, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

charlie

Re: clearances

Originally posted by Shaker:
. . . according to NFPA/NEC, is there a minimum height requirement for signs, lites, etc, that cross over where commercial vehicle traffic travels?
Yes, and it depends on the ownership of the equipment. I can speak to the wires where they cross public Rights-of-Way and are owned by electric utilities. Generally speaking, the first 15.5 feet is required for physical clearance. The remaining additional clearance is for the voltage on the wire.

If memory serves me correctly, the bottoms of traffic signals are generally set at 14 feet and the maximum height of trucks without over height permits is 13 1/2 feet.

The question I have is why would you be delivering a mobile home with a height of 15'-10 1/2" and not have an over height permit? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.