Closet light.... switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I have a need to install a bunch of door jamb switches for closet lighting. Open door, light comes on.

Any suggestions?

Maybe penguins like refrigerators use? :D

mdshunk

Several companies have them, but they seem to all be made by the same OEM. The one's I use come in a P&S box. Get yourself a nice sharp new chisel. No room for error. More artwork than electrical work.

edit
BTW... there's a UL listing issue with some of these, if I remember rightly. Some guys use an alarm guy ball contact and put a relay in the knockout of the closet light junction box and do it low voltage. Much easier that way, but more material.

walkerj

We have always left the box on the stubout at rough in and let the trim carpenter install it in the door.
I am not a woodworker.

mdshunk

walkerj said:
We have always left the box on the stubout at rough in and let the trim carpenter install it in the door.
I am not a woodworker.
I guessed he was talking about old work. Maybe not.

electricmanscott

Brand spankin' new construction. A bunch of closets with bifold doors. Not sure if thety will even work with that type of door.

I'll cut them in, and I will charge accordingly. :wink:

ItsHot

door adjustment

door adjustment

electricmanscott said:
Brand spankin' new construction. A bunch of closets with bifold doors. Not sure if thety will even work with that type of door.

I would guess if the doors are adjusted just right the switch will work.

mdshunk

electricmanscott said:

You might use an alarm guy magnetic switch for that application, and do the light switching low voltage. Seems like that would work pretty well for bifolds.

stickboy1375

Get with the times, use low voltage...

RC-120S.jpg

http://www.tequipment.net/RemconRC-120S.html

These are the lights I recommend because the relay fits perfectly inside of them...
http://www.justvanities.com/Progress-Lighting-P7008-30-PG4104.html

Use N.C. magnets in the door.
BR-1012.jpg

Last edited:

mdshunk

The Remcon relay is cool, because it has a bult-in transformer with the realy. Just like the WattStopper style relays the occupancy sensors use.

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
I didnt even know they still made hardwire jamb switches...:D
They do, but most every one is a repackaged Edwards A502, no matter who's name is on the box. As far as I've learned, none of them are UL listed. The Leviton 1865 is one that isn't a repackaged Edwards, and appears to be the only line voltage jamb switch with a UL listing.

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
The Remcon relay is cool, because it has a bult-in transformer with the realy. Just like the WattStopper style relays the occupancy sensors use.

Yep, I just did a house that had every closet with one installed, must have been at least 20+ closets in this house... rough in was a piece of cake, the trim was a little difficult. But, ONLY because the carpenters decided to drill the magnet where they felt like it, not where I roughed it in... DOH!!!

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
They do, but most every one is a repackaged Edwards A502, no matter who's name is on the box. As far as I've learned, none of them are UL listed. The Leviton 1865 is one that isn't a repackaged Edwards, and appears to be the only line voltage jamb switch with a UL listing.

Home Depot carries these...

3221041HR.jpg

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
Home Depot carries these...
Yeah, HD and Lowe's both have that switch in the Gardner Bender package, and it's an Edwards 502A also.

http://www.edwards-signals.com/index.cfm?pg=3&level=48&pid=82&tab=0

edit... I note the UL mark on that package... I wonder if they've added grounding provisions for them lately? They must have. That was the hangup before. Maybe they're "for replacement use only", and still don't have grounding provisions?

Last edited:

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
But its UL listed... :D
Yeah, but as a "special use switch"

From the UL:

A special-use switch is intended for factory installation in equipment and is not intended for field installation or field replacement of a similar switch.

These requirements also cover replacement switches which are intended for field replacement of special-use switches used as part of devices and appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.