Closet lighting layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Hello,

Looking at this sketch, where would you put four 6" high hats in this clothes closet? This closet is 90"x156", I was going to put the lights 22.5" off the shorter wall and 39" off the longer wall. What about the mirror (just to the left when you enter the coset), would you attempt to provide lighting specifically for it? FYI, the ceiling is sloped so I'm planning on using LED Gimble trims.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does the led gimbal have a lens?

410.16 Luminaires in Clothes Closets.
(A) Luminaire Types Permitted. Only luminaires of the
following types shall be permitted in a closet:
(1) Surface-mounted or recessed incandescent or LED luminaires
with completely enclosed light sources
(2) Surface-mounted or recessed fluorescent luminaires
(3) Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires identified
as suitable for installation within the closet storage
space

mark32

Hello,

Looking at this sketch, where would you put four 6" high hats in this clothes closet? This closet is 90"x156", I was going to put the lights 22.5" off the shorter wall and 39" off the longer wall. What about the mirror (just to the left when you enter the coset), would you attempt to provide lighting specifically for it? FYI, the ceiling is sloped so I'm planning on using LED Gimble trims.

Hey Dennis,

Indeed this trim has a lens, just like the integrated LED trims you see, but it's the eyeball version.

cpinetree

Re: Mirror
I think a can in front of the mirror is a good idea, just make sure its in front of where a person stands so a shadow isn't cast.

mwm1752

hard to help without elevations on the double clothes rod -- if the top of the rod is within 6" of the ceiling then the edge of the recess would be 30" from wall min. Is this a design ? or code ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
hard to help without elevations on the double clothes rod -- if the top of the rod is within 6" of the ceiling then the edge of the recess would be 30" from wall min. Is this a design ? or code ?

Have you ever seen a rod up that high? Code only references storage space so I am not sure the rod would apply- although it would make sense in your scenario.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is what I would do

ry%3D400

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thanks man, that sounds good. Anyone else give thumbs up to that suggestion?

With amendment. Use two lights, off-set left and right of the mirror center line but still between the mirror surface and the subject. If they can be aimed, so much the better. Two light sources will tend to cancel shadows cast as someone turns in front of the mirror (eg one cheek shaded by the shadow from your nose). Most ideal would be two diffuse linear sources on either side of the mirror, top to bottom, enough to light well but not enough to blind you. There's a reason theatrical makeup tables have mirrors with a row of lights along the top and side.

mark32

With amendment. Use two lights, off-set left and right of the mirror center line but still between the mirror surface and the subject. If they can be aimed, so much the better. Two light sources will tend to cancel shadows cast as someone turns in front of the mirror (eg one cheek shaded by the shadow from your nose). Most ideal would be two diffuse linear sources on either side of the mirror, top to bottom, enough to light well but not enough to blind you. There's a reason theatrical makeup tables have mirrors with a row of lights along the top and side.

Oooh, that diffused linear source sounds groovy. Could you link me to such a fixture, just to give the customer a couple of options. I also like the idea of two high hats, one on each side, probably go with 4" cans there.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Oooh, that diffused linear source sounds groovy. Could you link me to such a fixture, just to give the customer a couple of options. I also like the idea of two high hats, one on each side, probably go with 4" cans there.

I should charge for this kind of thing, but here you go. It's the full package. No idea how much it might cost, but you can request a quote.

mark32

Would anyone install surface mounted luminaires in this scenario? It was my first thought, in order to nicely illuminate the shelves and such, but the sloped ceiling is throwing me off.

Occupation
Inspector

I should charge for this kind of thing, but here you go. It's the full package. No idea how much it might cost, but you can request a quote.

Just a few months ago I installed a mirror like the one in the link but for a Bathroom Vanity. It is really slick. I'll try to find the photos of the install.

mgookin

Thanks man, that sounds good. Anyone else give thumbs up to that suggestion?

:thumbsup:

But I'd add more lights. That's a big area with many "sub-areas" to be illuminated.
The one at the mirror should be pretty close to the mirror and if adjustable, directed to the person standing there.

mark32

:thumbsup:

But I'd add more lights. That's a big area with many "sub-areas" to be illuminated.
The one at the mirror should be pretty close to the mirror and if adjustable, directed to the person standing there.

Right, that's what I'm talking about, a surface mounted light could illuminate those "sub areas" better than just recessed lights alone. Hmmm, I'm going there tomorrow and the customer is excited, just want to give her a well lit area.

mwm1752

Have you ever seen a rod up that high? Code only references storage space so I am not sure the rod would apply- although it would make sense in your scenario.

Yes there are systems that swing down from an upper position & also consider a 7"6" ceiling that can have the top of rod 7'2" easily reachable

Occupation
Inspector
Just a few months ago I installed a mirror like the one in the link but for a Bathroom Vanity. It is really slick. I'll try to find the photos of the install.

Here are some photos. This one was fluorescent.

Attachments

• IMG_6461.jpg
    IMG_6461.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6463.jpg
    IMG_6463.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6464.jpg
    IMG_6464.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.