Closet lighting layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

So if the rod is 6" down from the ceiling what code sections makes us use 30" from the wall

none for recess cans
enclosed recess @ 6" rod is 6" below ceiling the the imaginary 12" shelf would kick in requiring a min of 18" to recess trim -- if the is no 6" clearance the 24" storage space would be present & the only way you could get 6" clearance is to be 30" from the wall to the recess trim.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
none for recess cans
enclosed recess @ 6" rod is 6" below ceiling the the imaginary 12" shelf would kick in requiring a min of 18" to recess trim -- if the is no 6" clearance the 24" storage space would be present & the only way you could get 6" clearance is to be 30" from the wall to the recess trim.

I am not sure the rod is considered storage space. We never measure from the rod with imaginary clothing hanging there. I think that is what you are saying. My understanding is if there is no shelf above the rod then we have to assume a 12 inch shelf and measure from there. There is no measurement down from the ceiling to consider. So I disagree with the 30"

mwm1752

I am not sure the rod is considered storage space. We never measure from the rod with imaginary clothing hanging there. I think that is what you are saying. My understanding is if there is no shelf above the rod then we have to assume a 12 inch shelf and measure from there. There is no measurement down from the ceiling to consider. So I disagree with the 30"
Seems pretty clear
Closet Storage Space. The volume bounded by the sides and back closet walls and planes extending from the closet floor verticallyto a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) or to the highest clothes-hanging rod and parallel to the walls at a horizontal distance of 600 mm (24 in.) from the sides and back of the closet walls, respectively, and continuing vertically to the closet ceiling parallel to the walls at a horizontal distance of 300 mm (12 in.) or the width of the shelf, whichever is greater; for a closet that permits access to both sides of a hanging rod, this space includes the volume below the highest rod extending 300 mm (12 in.) on either side of the rod on a plane horizontal to the floor extending the entire length of the rod. See Figure 410.2
The storage space is an imaginary space defined by the closet elements. so 24 " plus required clearances from specific luminaires which IMO includes the verticle restricted
distances. for recess why would it be compliant to be within a verticle space of less than 6" for recess when it is non compliant to be within horizontal space of less than 6" for recess?

Status
Not open for further replies.