closet lights clearances, recessed lights ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
With the closet light fixture clearances from shelving in mind, I've been installing recessed LED lights in ceilings as close to the closet door side as possible. This seems to be ok with inspectors. Have you been using these for closet lights ? Do these have different requirements than surface mounted lights ? Thank you

Buck Parrish

The surface mounted is 12 in clearence the recessed is 6. I think it changed to 12 in for both types. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Most times we install a strip light on the wall above the door unless it's a walk in closet.

kwired

Electron manager
410.16 addresses this. For recessed you need to be 6 inches from the defined "storage space" which is 12" or shelf width if greater than 12. That means if the closet is less than 18" deep you can not have a light at all, it will never be able to be placed far enough away. If it is exactly 18" deep your only option is recessed in the wall above the door.

Leespark57

There are some light fixtures which are listed to be installed per 410.16(A)(3), within the clothes closet storage space. This fixture is an example.

IMO, this fixture is allowed to be installed directly above the shelf with no limitations.

Attachments

• EPCO_LEDClosetLightDataSheet.pdf
    403.8 KB · Views: 34

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
According to 410.16(A)(3), LED lighting, a new technology with a very low heat source, is permitted in clothes closets if listed for closet use.

This from the 2011 handbook. When you stop laughing at how they describe LED lighting the rest of the section is appropriate, and probably even more so now.

-Hal

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Hello,

Does anyone know of a reliable and affordable light that meets the requirement of 410.16(A)(3) ?

Thanks
I've never used it, but seems ok.

Ravenvalor

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you. It looks safe enough but I do not see where it states that it is 410.16(A)(3)
410.16.a.3 has no requirement that the fixture packaging (or specs) has to reference that code section.

It simply says that the fixture has to be identified as suitable for use within a closet. That fixture is identified as suitable.

However, 410.16.a.3 also only references recessed and surface mounted fixtures. That fixture is flush mounted, which is not the same as surface mounted.

I can't seem to get very many people on board with my way of thinking on that, but surface mount is not a fixture that sits on the surface, but specifically one that it mounts to the surface. A flush box is not the surface

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The manufacturers are good about stating their fixtures are approved for use in closets which is not the same as "approved for use in closet storage space". For many years there were very, very few that were approved for use in the actual storage space.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The manufacturers are good about stating their fixtures are approved for use in closets which is not the same as "approved for use in closet storage space". For many years there were very, very few that were approved for use in the actual storage space.
The code doesn't say it has to be approved by anybody. It just says it has to be identified as suitable

Attachments

• 20210809_150346.jpg
    20210809_150346.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 10

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Good point. Of course, like anything else it would need to be "approved" by the inspecting agency, but that does seem to be an interesting loophole. I guess one has to assume if it's "listed" the listing agency would allow the wording "suitable for storage space" if the product actually was.

kwired

Electron manager
Last I knew the most common thing that is listed to be in the storage space is some sort of lighted clothes hanger rod(s) or under the shelves type lighting systems and not so much anything that would mount on a conventional outlet box. Never installed any myself so not familiar with them.

Malywr

Last I knew the most common thing that is listed to be in the storage space is some sort of lighted clothes hanger rod(s) or under the shelves type lighting systems and not so much anything that would mount on a conventional outlet box. Never installed any myself so not familiar with them.

How about LED rope lights / under kitchen cabinets lights
Would be ok to install in clothes closet?

Malywr

I surface mount it in aluminum channel, on the wall next to the door trim. If it's identified by the manufacturer as suitable for use in a closet, then it's ok

I have similar projects as OP. Snd closet has is 16’ wide with 2 door on opposite side (lamp above door would not be enough)
It has slanted ceiling and is tight inside
I taught about rope lights they could be bright. Don’t get hot and 12v. Construction id flimsy so maybe more ridged under cabinet lighting also 12v

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If you put your LED strip lighting in an aluminum channel with a diffuser (lens), it meets the requirement to have a completely enclosed light source

kwired

Electron manager
How about LED rope lights / under kitchen cabinets lights
Would be ok to install in clothes closet?
In clothes closet you have two different zones to consider, the NEC defined storage space and the remaining space. No luminaire goes in the storage space unless listed to go in there. Otherwise type of luminaire and whether it is flush or surface mounted can effect minimum distance they must be from the storage space. Exposed incandescent lamps are a no-go at any distance within the closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.