closets

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjw444

Under 2005 code does a walk-in closet require afci protection if you access the closet through the bathroom? Seems like the closet is not part of the bedroom at that point. Any help would be great. I have checked 210.12 to no avail.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
kjw444 said:
Under 2005 code does a walk-in closet require afci protection if you access the closet through the bathroom? Seems like the closet is not part of the bedroom at that point. Any help would be great. I have checked 210.12 to no avail.

The walk in would not require arc fault protection nor should the bathroom.

bphgravity

This is a matter of local interpretation by the AHJ, and will likely be quite controversial, as the discussion has been on this forum.

I say no afci protection required if you access the closet through another room outside of the bedroom. Technically, it doesn't matter how you get to the closet.

A closet, by definition, is a separate room. See Article 100 of the 2008 NEC and/or your local building code. Therefore, afci protection would never be required for a closet in any situation, save for the new 2008 NEC expansion.

GilbeSpark

kjw444 said:

It is not required in the closet, or the bathroom.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
amazing electric said:
If the switch for closet light is on the outside of the closet the it has to be on AFCI

Not true, a switch is not an outlet.

Roger

GilbeSpark

amazing electric said:
If the switch for closet light is on the outside of the closet the it has to be on AFCI

Yes, if you enter the closet through the bedroom, but this closet enters through the bathroom.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
GilbeSpark said:
Yes, if you enter the closet through the bedroom, but this closet enters through the bathroom.
Why would you think it makes a difference?

If this is not part of a bedroom circuit the switch means nothing.

Roger

Only outlets in Bedrooms require AFCI protection under the 2005 NEC. Closets are not bedrooms even if they are bedroom closets. A switch is not an outlet. Receptacle, Appliance and fixtures boxes are outlet boxes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
GilbeSpark said:

Suppose to get in the bathroom you have to go through the bedroom. Does this make the bathroom have to be on an arc fault. IMO, no it is a separate room just as a closet would be a separate room.

The argument of the switch in the bedroom has been argued before. Around here if there is a switch on the wall in the bedroom that controls an outdoor light than the switch must be on a Arc fault. Many on this forum think it is not necessary.

I think Brians advice to check with the AHJ is probably the best advice. At least you may be able to talk it through with him/her.

wirebender

ltpaul said:
Is it a violation if the vanity lights over the sink are fed off a gfci receptacle?

Not if the bathroom is on it's own 20A circuit, IMO.
210.11 Branch Circuits Required (exception)

I guess it could be fed from a GFCI on a GP branch circuit, also.

I see no need to in either case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.