Cloth-wiring feeders in electrical panel

Andres Arias

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi everybody.

When we have to install a PV system, why do the feeders (wires connected from the electric meter to the main breaker), if cloth-wiring, have to be replaced? Is this something related to that they imply a fire hazardous?

Thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
By cloth wiring you actually mean rubber insulated, tinned copper. Replacement would depend on the condition of the rubber insulation.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Hi everybody.

When we have to install a PV system, why do the feeders (wires connected from the electric meter to the main breaker), if cloth-wiring, have to be replaced?
I've yet to see the cloth wrapped rubber insulated SE cable not compromised in the NE.
Is this something related to that they imply a fire hazardous?

Thank you
The Insulation and wiring is only 60 deg, and most likely very brittle and to make modification to it not recommended. Also, piercing taps usually used for supply side tap installation of solar will likely not get a clean connection in the cloth/rubber wiring.
Either could be or result in a fire hazard when modifying.
Immediately off hand I could minimally see 110.7 and a 110.12(B) being potential issues.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I've yet to see the cloth wrapped rubber insulated SE cable not compromised in the NE.

The Insulation and wiring is only 60 deg, and most likely very brittle and to make modification to it not recommended. Also, piercing taps usually used for supply side tap installation of solar will likely not get a clean connection in the cloth/rubber wiring.
Either could be or result in a fire hazard when modifying.
Immediately off hand I could minimally see 110.7 and a 110.12(B) being potential issues.

When you encounter cloth covered wiring, don't disturb it. It's like the "Portrey Barn" ... You break it, you own it.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Hi everybody.

When we have to install a PV system, why do the feeders (wires connected from the electric meter to the main breaker), if cloth-wiring, have to be replaced? Is this something related to that they imply a fire hazardous?

Thank you

Installing a PV system should have nothing much to do with it, I can tell you that.

I assume that someone involved has determined that if you are doing electrical work on the site then you must rectify these conductors which they consider too unsafe to leave in place.

If they are only doing this to PV installers then they are being discriminatory, and you should ask why it isn't required for other types of electrical work. That is, unless it's only required for some further specific reason you didn't mention, such as specifically tapping those conductors for a supply side PV connection.

macmikeman

Seems like nobody stocks the good old Liquid Rubber that came in a cardboard tube type of container. I open panel boards and find that rubber/cloth feeder cable sometimes. In the good old days you could take a artists paint brush and at least dab it on the cracks you see staring at you, before carefully putting back on the panel cover and turning down the job.................. All joking aside, it is certainly the most fire prone situation in a house or building to have, and replacement is always the very best course of action whenever it is discovered...

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Seems like nobody stocks the good old Liquid Rubber that came in a cardboard tube type of container. I open panel boards and find that rubber/cloth feeder cable sometimes. In the good old days you could take a artists paint brush and at least dab it on the cracks you see staring at you, before carefully putting back on the panel cover and turning down the job.................. All joking aside, it is certainly the most fire prone situation in a house or building to have, and replacement is always the very best course of action whenever it is discovered...
Isn't that now called "Flex Seal?"

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I just helped my brother with his house that was built in the mid-fifties, and it has some of that type of wire for the stove and dryer. The rubber was in perfect shape...no hardness or brittleness.