Clothes Closet luminaires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng

hello,

per NEC 410.16 you can install an incandensent luminaire in a clothes closet if the light source is completely enclosed.

Are we still required to comply with the spacing requirements of NEC 410.2?

I have an existing condition where there are enclosed incandescent lights installed in a clothes closet. The owner is asking if this is code compliant. I have not been to the site to verify if it meets the spacing requirements. If it does not need to comply with 410.2, then it appears that we are OK with leaving them in place, even if they do not meet the spacing requirements. If we are still required to comply with 410.2, then I will make the site visit.

Thanks

John120/240

410.8 Fixtures in clothes closets Have installed many can lights in closets w/shower trims.

The shower trim limits you to a 40 watt lamp w/Halo H7ICTNB cans. Yes you need to meet the

distance requirements from shelves for any fixture. 3ea 3 lamp mushroom fixtures in a really

big closet once.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes you can install surface incandescents with a totally enclosed lens in a closet but it must be 12" from the shelves or 12" whichever is greater. Extend the shelf vertically to the ceiling and then 12" to the edge of the fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.