CM type communication wire used in single family house???

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
I did...I'm still confused?

Here is a quote from 300.22(C)(1):

Other types of cables, conductors, and raceways shall be permitted to be installed in electrical metallic tubing, flexible metallic tubing, intermediate metal conduit, rigid metal conduit without an overall nonmetallic covering, flexible metal conduit, or, where accessible, surface metal raceway or metal wireway with metal covers or solid bottom metal cable tray with solid metal covers.

This says other type of cables (including CMP) shall be permitted to be installed in EMT etc...

Hope this helps.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
so does that cable have to be CMP or can it be CM,CMX ect...

According to 800.154(A). only Type CMR and CMP cables shall be permitted to be installed in raceways in other spaces used for enviromental air.

800.154 Applications of Listed Communications Wires and Cables and Communications Raceways.
Communications wires and cables shall comply with the requirements of 800.154(A) through (D), 800.154(F), and 800.154(G), or where cable substitutions are made in accordance with 800.154(E).
(A) Plenum. Cables installed in ducts, plenums, and other spaces used for environmental air shall be Type CMP. Abandoned cables shall not be permitted to remain. Types CMP, CMR, CMG, CM, and CMX and communications wire installed in compliance with 300.22 shall be permitted. Listed plenum communications raceways shall be permitted to be installed in ducts and plenums as described in 300.22(B) and in other spaces used for environmental air as described in 300.22(C). Only Type CMP cable shall be permitted to be installed in raceways.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Keep in mind though that alot suspended ceiling spaces are not used to convey environmental air and are not subject to 300.22(C).

Chris

sparks2000

yeah, therfore any other of those cables can be used.

I did a hospital and they had therehouse electrician pipe everything in the air hadeler space, I just pulled in the cable, just couldnt remember if it was CMP, I hope so!!!!???

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If it was in conduit it wouldn't have to be plenum listed cable.

-Hal
If the cables are in a metallic Chapter 3 raceway, within the other space used for environmental air, they can be any type of cable. If they are in a listed plenum raceway, they must be CMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.