CO/ALR Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have some interesting comments made by various persons regarding the use of CO/ALR devices.
A customer was told that all the CO/ALR devices in her house need to be replaced with devices rated for copper conductors.
HER HOUSE IS WIRED WITH COPPER CONDUCTORS.
The devices used in the home are CO/ALR rated.
As far as I know, CO/ALR devices can be used with copper or aluminum conductors, but if aluminum conductors are being utilized, I must have CO/ALR rated devices.
Can anyone direct me to any documentation that I might find on the web to validate the proper conductor use with CO/ALR devices?
Since this customer is hearing different statements from various persons, I would like to show her in writing what the UL and industry recommended and acceptable use actually is.

Thank you in advance for any input and direction.

bphgravity

Re: CO/ALR Devices

From the RTRT.GuideInfo from UL:

Terminals of 15 and 20 A receptacles not marked "CO/ALR" are for use with copper and copper-clad aluminum conductors only. Terminals marked "CO/ALR" are for use with aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum conductors.

Terminals of receptacles rated 30 A and above not marked "AL-CU" are for use with copper conductors only. Terminals of receptacles rated 30 A and above marked "AL-CU" are for use with aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.