CO detector plugged into GFCI-Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskiedog

I came across one of campground kitchens and the have a co detector plugged into the gfci. I can't come across anything in the code that says they can't do this but I think the CO detector should not be on a GFCi since they fail or may trip and no one would know that it is not in operation. This kitchen is used by organizations renting the lodge and camp grounds.

Anyone input would be appriciated.

bphgravity

Section 5.2.2.6 of the NFPA 720 states, "Operation of a switch (other than a circuit breaker) or a ground fault circuit interrupter shall not cause loss of primary (main) ac power." In any case, the manufacturer's instructions should be followed... There is nothing in UL 2034 covering this topic.

hockeyoligist2

muskiedog said:
I came across one of campground kitchens and the have a co detector plugged into the gfci. I can't come across anything in the code that says they can't do this but I think the CO detector should not be on a GFCi since they fail or may trip and no one would know that it is not in operation. This kitchen is used by organizations renting the lodge and camp grounds.

Anyone input would be appriciated.

IMO......... NO
maybe 210.8 ? not sure Bob will know.

dlhoule

I can't cite any code violation....doesn't mean that it isn't...,
IMO it would be a very poor design or decision to do it.

Jljohnson

Doesn't the CO detector have a 9V battery backing it up? I can't think of any code section that the installation is in violation of either but the battery should safegaurd the occupants in the case of GFI trips.

muskiedog

That is where I am heading is to verify if it has bettery back-up. But I will have them relocate it since it is right next to the stove and may give a false read there. Pilot burning all the time. I did come across this in my search for higher learning HA- "to help prevent false alarms, such detectors should be located away from sources of humidity such as bathrooms and should be located away from a range or other fossil fuel burning equipment.

Thanks All

hockeyoligist2

Think about this....... How many people change the batteries on a normal schedule? I would say almost none. say the battery is dead, something trips it out, no protection. IMO if it was my home I would say no.

muskiedog

Here is what NFPA 720 states

Here is what NFPA 720 states

5.2.2 Promary Power Supply ac

5.2.2.6 operation of a switch (other than a circuit breaker) or a GFCI shall not cause loss of primary (main) ac power

5.2.2.7 The requirements of 5.2.2.6 shall not apply where a GFCI serves all electrical circuits within the dwelling unit.

Plus a lot more on secondary power sources and battery requirements.

I now have my answer.

Thanks again.

I?m thinking something is getting over looked or I fell off my rocker.

Co2 and smoke deters should be on the same CB and be wired with white, black, red. Red would be the traveler for if one goes off they all go off. They would all need the battery back up.

Or it should be tied into to the fire alarm system witch would fall back to the fire alarm company to install.

bphgravity

Your off your rocker I'm afraid. CO alarms (not CO2) are permitted to be the "plug-in" type.

Here is the statement by UL:

Single-station Type — Single-station carbon monoxide alarm are self-contained units that incorporate a sensor and related electrical components to initiate an audible alarm signal from the unit when an abnormal amount of carbon monoxide actuates the unit. These devices may be energized from (1) a commercial power supply source by means of permanent wiring in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70 or a flexible power supply cord and plug, (2) use of limited energy cable or equivalent wiring connected to the output of a suitable Class 2 power supply, or (3) by one or more batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.