CO Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

I am currently installing CO detection in MA in hotels and I am using one of the technical options of which I am using technical option F. I have been using a CM15a co detector manufactured by 3M and I was informed that this would not meet the requirement of the technical option F as the activating point is not 50 PPM. Does anyone know of a UL approved CO detector that is 24v wall mount with a NO/NC contact that will activate at 50 parts per million.

MAK

I have been looking for the CO detector that you require but can not find one yet. This is the option F definition I found. It seems to indicate a duct mounted CO detector.

(f) Type F Carbon Monoxide protection for Roof Mounted
Fossil Fuel Burning Equipment that circulate air from said
unit to common areas only, shall be equipped with the following:
i. A duct Carbon Monoxide gas detection device
shall be installed on the supply side of the Roof
Mounted Air Handling Unit or the common
areas on the floor closest to the initial supply
discharge from the Roof Mounted Air Handling
Unit. All such devices shall be installed in
accordance with the manufacturer?s instructions.
The Carbon Monoxide gas detection device
shall automatically alarm upon detection of
carbon monoxide at 50 parts per million (ppm)
and provide for a supervisory alarm in
accordance with NFPA 720, 5.3.9. Such method
of monitoring is to be determined at the
discretion of the building owner in accordance
with NFPA 720, 5.3.9.3 (1), and the
retransmission of the signal shall be at the
discretion of the head of the fire department.
Upon activation of the Carbon Monoxide
detection device and supervisory alarm, the roof
mounted fossil fuel burning equipment shall
shutdown until manually reset.
Exception: Such shut down requirement shall not
be applicable to systems that are part of an
emergency or standby system required by any
municipal, state or federal law or regulation

shortcircuit2

The option allows for either a duct mounted CO detectoror or Co detector located...

...in common areas on the floor closest to the initial supply
discharge from the Roof Mounted Air Handling
Unit.

I still haven't located a CO detector which activates at 50 ppm

shortcircuit

DM2-Inc

UL CO Detector

UL CO Detector

UL Does not have a standard for CO detectors with the alarm setting your looking for. When UL came out with their standard it raised a big stink among many CO detector manufacturers. The UL standard requires the detector to alarm at 100ppm or 70ppm if the sensor has sat at 70ppm for more than 1 hour.

The excuse given by UL and those opposed to the ability to have a set point at 50ppm, what the the cost to manufacture the solid state, or electrochemical sensor was cost prohibitive.

The reality is that the UL standard is limited to residential applications not commercial where OSHA starts to raise it's head. The requirement for 50ppm is an OSHA requirement.

You can purchase a Macurco (http://www.macurco.com) sensor that is UL listed and by cutting a jumper you'll get the required Alarm at 50ppm, but you've now voided the listing. Don't sweat that because as I said, UL doesn't have a standard for one of these detectors. Give them a call and they'll talk you through what you need to do.

You'll pay more for this detector but it's a better solution that the UL version. I deal with gas detectors all the time, primarily the Industrial type, at a minimum cost of $1,000.00 or better. I've got one of the Macurco sensors in my attic for my water heater and I'd never put a UL listed unit in...they're worthless.

johnj

CO2 Sensors

CO2 Sensors

We buy a lot of equipment from Kele. They have a lot of different CO2 sensors available. Go to their website and see if they have what you need.
www.Kele.com

Status
Not open for further replies.