Code Changes for phone and cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacscott

Re: Code Changes for phone and cable

OK, all great comments. First, lets keep government out of the picture unless they are needed. NEC is a minimum guide for safety and communication cable has a very low risk to user and installer. Second, as an installer, I want to stock as few cables and parts as I need to, so Cat5e is what I use for everything, telephone, networking, IR, RS232 protocol, etc. I stock different colors to indicate different uses. Yellow for phone, green for control, white for network, etc. Home running is the only way to go. It simplifies troubleshooting, it eliminates crosstalk, it allows for system expantion and flexibility, etc.
I use Cat 6 only for the initial run from D-mark to hub if the run is longer than usual, or just to help insure the best possible signal in a questionable envrionment. Cat 6 connectors are different than Cat5e so that means stocking a different set of parts. When Cat 7 comes out, it will probably be so dramatically different, that everything will change. Tools, connectors, methods, etc. I expect it will only begin to be used as new technology is developed that requires it and when that technology becomes a "need" and not a luxury. My 2 cents worth.

racraft

Re: Code Changes for phone and cable

There is another advantage to using Cat 5 for all runs, voice (phone) or data (ethernet). You can swap the use of any particular line without re-running cables.

At my present job, each drop consists of four wires, all cat 5. The normal use is one phone and two ethernet, with the fourth unused. However, we have ultimate flexibility with this setup. We can run all phones, all ethernet, or any combination, with no re-wiring, simply reconnecting at the source end.

Status
Not open for further replies.