Code compliance for solar PV reinstallation originally built in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am consulting for a client who has a ~600 kW system installed on a commercial rooftop in California. The roof is near the end of its life and needs a repair which will necessitate a temporary full or partial removal of PV equipment from roof and reinstallation after the roof work is completed. I am wondering what, if any, code requirements would be triggered for when the system is reinstalled after the roof repair? It was originally built in 2007. Will the system have to be brought up to current codes or is it grandfathered in for 2007 codes? I'm assuming it must be brought up to code- does anyone know what specific work might need to be performed and what costs may be associated with this work? Thank you.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't think you're required to change the specs of the installation. You are doing 'maintenance'. As long as everything goes back in the way it was installed, you have no obligation to exceed the requirements under which the installation was originally approved.

That's just my opinion, the final call would be with the AHJ.

I don't think you're required to change the specs of the installation. You are doing 'maintenance'. As long as everything goes back in the way it was installed, you have no obligation to exceed the requirements under which the installation was originally approved.

That's just my opinion, the final call would be with the AHJ.

Thanks, I think you're probably right. I confirmed that is the case for the state of California, however now I am wondering if that is the standard nationwide as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.