Code for direct buried fiber optic

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the code for installing the main feeder fiber optic lines with utilities. We cut the main line while trenching to install post lights. We had it located first and they were six feet off where they marked it. They used a very thin soft cable, no tracer wire, no conduit, no caution tape. They are trying to hit us with the cost for repairs. HELP!!!!

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know what the laws are in your area. Here if you call for locate and they are wrong the repair is them. I think the window for error is two feet. That may not be exactly correct, but it's not six feet.
window for error is 18" here. If they can't mark it at least that accurate they must not care if it is hit IMO. I also think the window of error should be less than that but it is what it is. A good locator operator is never off by more then just a very few inches.

If they have no tracer wire, no caution tape, or any thing that helps the slightest to locate it, they must still not care if someone hits it:slaphead:

Most of this is just SOP for companies that own these lines and not necessarily any codes.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
window for error is 18" here. If they can't mark it at least that accurate they must not care if it is hit IMO. I also think the window of error should be less than that but it is what it is. A good locator operator is never off by more then just a very few inches.

If they have no tracer wire, no caution tape, or any thing that helps the slightest to locate it, they must still not care if someone hits it:slaphead:

Most of this is just SOP for companies that own these lines and not necessarily any codes.
Yes, a good locator operator may be able to get within a few inches if the run is not too deep and not affected by other nearby runs.
But without an added tracer wire on a fiber optic cable they probably just extrapolated a straight run from exposed points.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, a good locator operator may be able to get within a few inches if the run is not too deep and not affected by other nearby runs.
But without an added tracer wire on a fiber optic cable they probably just extrapolated a straight run from exposed points.
When I have problems with nearby runs, I have found you need to isolate the run you are locating and then you will be accurate. That sometimes disconnecting something to be able to locate whether it is convenient or not. However finding the item with the backhoe or trencher usually makes the down time even more of an inconvenience, or even a hazard if it is a high voltage line or a gas line.

Straight run from exposed points? How often is the run actually straight between such points?
Who installs underground fiber optic without tracer wire or a shielded type cable where you can trace the shield? Maybe non utilty company installs, but those usually are not located by the one call services anyway.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Six feet off the locating company is liable or if the locating company called the fiber operator and they failed then it is still not you issue. Does not mean that you will not have to fight to be right.
as others have stated it appears you are not liable.

Good luck ,

kwired

Electron manager
Six feet off the locating company is liable or if the locating company called the fiber operator and they failed then it is still not you issue. Does not mean that you will not have to fight to be right.
as others have stated it appears you are not liable.

Good luck ,
And you better have preserved some evidence of where you hit it compared to where it was marked and/or have some witnesses that can back you up, otherwise whoever has deeper pockets likely wins if it comes to legal actions.

rlundsrud

Make sure you get pictures of the fiber underground and at both ends if possible showing the lack of a locating wire. Also take pictures that show the fiber is inside your survey box and wasn't marked. Are there any marks on the ground that show the incorrect location of the fiber? I would certainly document those as well. The more evidence you have to bolster your side, the better.

Last time I was involved with some digging, I photographed the entire area with the makings, and even set a yard-stick down for a scale. Fortunately, we didn't have any surprised when we dug.

Digital photography is so cheap, there's little reason not to take lots of pictures, both before and after. The don't have to be art, they just have to show the right things.

kwired

Electron manager
Last time I was involved with some digging, I photographed the entire area with the makings, and even set a yard-stick down for a scale. Fortunately, we didn't have any surprised when we dug.

Digital photography is so cheap, there's little reason not to take lots of pictures, both before and after. The don't have to be art, they just have to show the right things.

How about video camera(s) mounted on backhoe boom?

Then you get details of every moment of the excavation:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.