Code for exterior metal box

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZsparky

Is there any code requirement for an exterior metal box in a damp or wet listed location for elevation above grade? I know it's good practice to set it at least 1' above grade, but is there a code requirement? Thanks to all

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is there any code requirement for an exterior metal box in a damp or wet listed location for elevation above grade? I know it's good practice to set it at least 1' above grade, but is there a code requirement? Thanks to all

314.15 is all I know of

II. Installation
314.15 Damp or Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations,
boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings shall be placed or
equipped so as to prevent moisture from entering or accumulating
within the box, conduit body, or fitting. Boxes,
conduit bodies, and fittings installed in wet locations shall
be listed for use in wet locations.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I just saw a 240 volt disco for an A/C unit laying on the ground, face up, the seal tite too short to mount it on the wall, totally exposed to the elements in a flood plain (I posted pictures of the very house a few months ago in a thread about the flood they had there, they had to evacuate for about three days) installed in 1988, buried under feet of snow every year, still working and no signs of corrosion on the stabs of the pull out disconnect.

I was astonished.

I plan on getting pics next time I go back there.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Guess it all kinds of depends where you live. Where you are and where I am, 1' might be fine, but if you're somewhere that get's 3' of snow on the ground during the winter, 1' might not be a great idea.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Guess it all kinds of depends where you live. Where you are and where I am, 1' might be fine, but if you're somewhere that get's 3' of snow on the ground during the winter, 1' might not be a great idea.

Last winter we got about 130" of snow, yes, over 10 feet. 3-4 feet was average ground cover. The HS across the street from me had a 10' snow drift that was over roof high on one part of the building.

Most outdoor boxes are at a foot or so, get buried nearly every year, and are just as OK as if they were up another 2 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.