Code reference for conductors not concealed within ballast cover or belly pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni13308

Occupation
EPC Superintendent, Journeyman Electrician
Hello All,

I had a subcontractor performing a lighting retrofit for us. Long story short they are now longer working with us. I am compiling all of their code violations. We had a 2x2 parabolic troffer fixture that was retrofitted, the contractor removed the ballast tray and threw it away. The parabolic lense has ~6"x6" open grates. I have been looking for a code reference for conductors being left open and exposed to unqualified personnel. I have found a couple of references that might incorporate this but I wanted to get some outside opinions. TIA

Joni13308

Occupation
EPC Superintendent, Journeyman Electrician
20220426_010022.jpg
20220426_010038.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That type of requirement is typically found in the product standards and not in the NEC.

410.6 requires that the retofit kits be listed and that would also require compliance with the instructions provided for the kit. What do they say?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NEC does not specifically reference ballast covers. The NEC does require in the luminaire Art (410?) that luminaires be listed, and section 110.3 B requires products to be used per their listing and labeling instructions.
Others may have more comments

Status
Not open for further replies.