Cold-Sequence Switch & AIC Ratings

I found your diagram at....
Page 198, Did not try to find the text you show starting with (5.).

Document is dated March-2024.

I am stumped on why they are demanding this. Spoke with a few local EE's here to see if this has migrated outside your area and it has not...yet.
I did look at PSE&G Long Island handbook, and it does not contain this requirement.

My guess is the metering department is behind this so they can work inside the cabinet without calling for the primary to be opened.

Is this your first time having to deal with this?
Have you spoke with other EC's to see how they have dealt with the issue?
yeah its crazy, talk about a huge added expense. What do you do for something say 2000A? Add a BPS? How much does that cost? 🥺

kcunningham59

I found your diagram at....
Page 198, Did not try to find the text you show starting with (5.).

Document is dated March-2024.

I am stumped on why they are demanding this. Spoke with a few local EE's here to see if this has migrated outside your area and it has not...yet.
I did look at PSE&G Long Island handbook, and it does not contain this requirement.

My guess is the metering department is behind this so they can work inside the cabinet without calling for the primary to be opened.

Is this your first time having to deal with this?
Have you spoke with other EC's to see how they have dealt with the issue?
to be honest 99% of the applications I have seen or possibly designed incorrectly was to have the switch with no fusing. It wasn't until recently that I had the AIC ratings thought, and that is where this mess has started.

kcunningham59

Thinking about it some more.....I think this just means you have to have a service disconnect ahead of the CT cabinet. That is what cold sequence means. They are not calling it a "meter disconnect".
Right but if you have the disconnect, and you fuse it, it can't be the grounding point since you can't run ground through the cabinet.

Right but if you have the disconnect, and you fuse it, it can't be the grounding point since you can't run ground through the cabinet.
Hmmm where are you getting that requirement?. And what exactly to you mean by "ground".

I do see they say that "if immediately adjacent" you must bond the neutral to the CT can. Then they say if not you isolate the neutral, which is consistent with the exception I posted in post #7.

MyCleveland

Had to do one of them for a Fire Pump because of the 6x requirement....absolute insanity!!
So what did you install? How large was the NF disconnect?

Talked with two gear reps...both could only come up with BPS as an option.

Talked with Boltswitch Inc., and ran this past them.
They do make NF large ampacity switches...non-UL only.

Telling me everything UL would be fusible and thus have an associated AIC rating.
They do have copper links to replace the fuses, but your AIC evaporates and no SCCR is offered.