Cold water bond on a duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can someone please post a photo of an aluminum ground cold water bond on a duplex so I can prove my idiot foreman wrong! Thanks
What is the question, can aluminum be used as a GEC for the water pipe electrode?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Kwired gave you the two applicable code references. Unless the attachment to the water pipe is within 18" of the bare earth aluminum is perfectly acceptable.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I didn’t ask for the frequency of use
I have a lot of pictures of copper but none of al wire connection for a water pipe
Not sure if you are doing a ground connection, if so, it has to be made within 5 ft of water pipe entrance into building, but per the restriction above
But a bond connection (250.104), if the water pipe does not qualify as a grounding electrode (10 ft in contact with soil), this connection can be done anywhere in the building as long as its accessible, so much easier to be able to use AL (and less expensive)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's a #2 aluminum GEC for a 200 amp service. Not a duplex but that doesn't change anything. 20170918_161818~2.jpg

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Can someone please post a photo of an aluminum ground cold water bond on a duplex so I can prove my idiot foreman wrong! Thanks
I can show you pictures of code violations so I don't know how a picture would help you. I can tell you that aluminum wire can and indeed is oftentimes used as a GEC. There's absolutely nothing in the code prohibiting it for above ground uses. It can't be used in below grade uses like UFERs or ground rods due to corrosion problems.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.