cold water bond to panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyfree

Recently I upgraded a panel to 200amps. I called the city planner ahead of time with a question concerning the cold water bond to panel. The house sits on a cement slab, so there is no way of bonding the cold water main to the panel. I asked if I could drive in a ground rod at the panel to bond the panel, and a seperate ground rod at the water main to bond the cold water pipe. Also I said I would bond the cold and hot water to the gas at the hot water heater. He said all sounded good, and I should have no problem. The inspector, however wants the cold water bonded to the panel. There are no water bibs near the panel. Does anybody have a suggestion or more importantly a code reference? Manny Free.

romeo

cold water bond to panel

I am not sure why you talked to the city planner rather than the electrical inspector. Look at NEC section 250.104 for bonding interior piping systems.

Also all grounding electrodes must be bonded together.

mdshunk

Yeah, that is a problem sometimes. I have had to trench in the GEC outside the dwelling to the point at which the water line enters the foundation and connect there. Luckily, that construction type isn't the norm in my area.

Consequently, I agree that taking this up with the city planner was a little weird.

mdshunk

I have had to take more that one water pipe GEC and water bond conductor through the attic and down an interior wall. Use your imagination.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Romeo, see 250.104 for the specifics.

Roger

mannyfree said:
Recently I upgraded a panel to 200amps. I called the city planner ahead of time with a question concerning the cold water bond to panel. The house sits on a cement slab, so there is no way of bonding the cold water main to the panel. I asked if I could drive in a ground rod at the panel to bond the panel, and a seperate ground rod at the water main to bond the cold water pipe. Also I said I would bond the cold and hot water to the gas at the hot water heater. He said all sounded good, and I should have no problem. The inspector, however wants the cold water bonded to the panel. There are no water bibs near the panel. Does anybody have a suggestion or more importantly a code reference? Manny Free.

This does not make any sense to me at all.
1. panel upgrade - you are not bonding the cold water to the panel, you are grounding it. It does not matter how hard it is to do, it is to be done.

2. Driving those different ground rods at the different locations you have specified makes no sense at all.

3. Code reference(s) - Art 250, Part III
Pay particular attention to 250.50, .52(A)(1), .53(D)(2) and 250.4(A)(5) the last sentence.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Pierre, after reading your post (and rereading the OP) I agree with you now, (sorry Romeo :() it appears as though the OP is confusing Grounding and Bonding.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Pierre C Belarge said:
Thanks Roger, it is always reassuring to have your agreement. ;)

Pierre, whether I say it or not, it is seldom that I don't agree with you.
icon7.gif

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.