Cold weather fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I am installing lights in a large pole/storage building. Was thinking either H.O. Fluorescents or T-8 fluorescent. The T-8 in my garage at home work alright in the cold. My one supplier tells me most of his clients are using T-8,s in cold storage. What are others using of the two. This is a large storage building but storage only. Thanks

greenspark1

Are you paying to refrigerate/cool the space? How cold is it? If so it makes more sense to get a very energy efficient option and the exact lumen output you need (lamp selection and ballact factor matching), then add controls so the lights are only on when you need them. This will reduce the load on your chiller. In addition to be energy efficient, LEDs love the cold so will actually work better in colder temperatures.

I believe you can buy general T8s and their ballasts that are rated down to -20, they shouldn't be hard to find.

arnettda

Are you paying to refrigerate/cool the space? How cold is it? If so it makes more sense to get a very energy efficient option and the exact lumen output you need (lamp selection and ballact factor matching), then add controls so the lights are only on when you need them. This will reduce the load on your chiller. In addition to be energy efficient, LEDs love the cold so will actually work better in colder temperatures.

I believe you can buy general T8s and their ballasts that are rated down to -20, they shouldn't be hard to find.

This is just a storage building with no heat or cooling. My biggest concern is that when it would get really cold out (below zero) they would not light.

Status
Not open for further replies.