College

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
170419-2237 EDT
It is my belief that any student should get practical experience in their field while a student.

I agree. While I was in engineering school (also at a prominent University) I participated in the Cooperative Engineering program, where I worked full time for a major semiconductor company and was in school full time during alternating semesters. When I graduated the company had a job waiting for me and I was with them for 22 years.

Ingenieur

My school although about 1/2 the size (main campus) has ~70% as much R&D
mostly science/medicine
The engineering school does not get much federal money but huge endowments
almost 200 mil
plenty of internships, lab jobs, etc
it's the second or third oldest engineering school in the country 1846
The EE program in 1890 may be the oldest?

jr guys working with sr guys hands on is critical

gar

Occupation
EE
170512-2424 EDT

In a photograph of the entire University of Michigan 1871 graduating Engineering Class there appear to be about 13 individuals. One could be their professor. They are shown with their surveying instruments.

In 1874 the the nation's first field surveying camp was established at Whitmore Lake just north of Ann Arbor. From the earliest days practical experience was included in the school program.

"By 1895 - when more than 50 engineering students were graduated - a separate Engineering Department was finally and officially established."

So in 20 years the number of graduates increased 4 times. Not large.

There are some other interesting points, but it has become late, and the Apple keyboard failed. I might or might not return. Switched to an IBM keyboard, now I have a real delete key and not just a backspace labeled delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.