Color changing LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.
After hesitating several years I have begun to purchase and install LED luminaires for some of my customers. The local volunteer FD is erecting a small monument and asked about illuminating it with color changing LED's (they want it to rotate red, white, and blue).

I told them I'd look into it. I've no experience with the color changing systems. Obviously not looking for a big/complex system. One flood lamp (or similar) would do just fine. (I'm hoping to be able to just donate the time/materials to them).

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

mirawho

Let me look into a cheap fixture. Most of the LED pars are programmable without a controller. I will see what I can find. I assume this is going to be an exterior installation. Will this be under an eave or in the open?

mirawho

There are instruments like the Chauvet LED Par56. It is IP rated (couldn't find the rating, has to be at least 65). They go on Amazon for $100. The only bad thing is that the white isn't pure white. When looking at LED's that are color changing, if you need pure white, make sure it is specified RGBW, not RGB. I will keep looking. Not sure what your budget it, but with something like the Chauvet, you are getting a pretty good deal as it is outdoor and instruments like the Blizzard ToughPars go for around $550 - $600. This is retail pricing, of course.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
They make a fiber optic light for pools that has a spinning wheel in the controller that changes the color and they also make fiber optic kits that you can program what colors you want. You might look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.