color code for wiring panels ( USA and Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lquadros1

Occupation
Electrical technologist
We have UL 508A for US and C22.2 No. 286 and No.14 code books for Canada. I have seen TEW, THHN wires etc., being used for wiring inside the panel.
We have 480V and other derived voltages from transformers like 208/120 and 24VDC. We have been using Black TEW for all high AC voltages and Red/ white for 120VAC and blue and blue/white for 24VDC. What is the requirement for color code for these wires for wiring inside of panels? Any answers are much appreciated.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
We have UL 508A for US
UL 508A is not mandatory in the US,I think that's a thing of the past, unless you have a client or jurisdiction mandating 508A you don't need to use it.
I just stick with IEC standards since they are mandated in 2/3 of countries world-wide.

lquadros1

Occupation
Electrical technologist
UL 508A is not mandatory in the US,I think that's a thing of the past, unless you have a client or jurisdiction mandating 508A you don't need to use it.
I just stick with IEC standards since they are mandated in 2/3 of countries world-wide.
UL 508A has a table of wire colors
For the purposes of wiring within the control panels, especially 3 phase and other derived single phase voltages, is it mandatory to follow color codes? Would color banding at the termination sufficient? We do follow blue and white/blue for DC and we do use identified conductor for neutral as per code. We do use cables with code compliant colors for the main incoming feed.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
For the purposes of wiring within the control panels, especially 3 phase and other derived single phase voltages, is it mandatory to follow color codes?
You can find all the mandatory requirements in article 409 of the NEC. And like I said check with who your planning on selling the panels to in the US, there may be local requirements that are more stringent, such as 508A.
The important part is just to provide good documentation and be consistent with the color codes you use.
EDIT: I should add article 409 is a quick read

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you are listing your panels to UL508A, there are color codes that are required to be followed for certain wiring.

UL508A has additional wire color requirements for control panels for industrial machines above and beyond what it requires for other panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.