Color coded insulation

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
Can anyone tell me when the color coded insulation for the large (#4 and above) wire has been around? I sort of remember when I was in the field back in the late 90's and early 2000's that it was just coming out I thought. Back then, it was an adder to order it. So when did it become more prevalent?

The reason I ask is that I am doing a project of replacing a chiller and the facilities person is wanting the entire run of 2 sets of 400 kcmil cu to be replaced unless we can tell when they were installed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The reason I ask is that I am doing a project of replacing a chiller and the facilities person is wanting the entire run of 2 sets of 400 kcmil cu to be replaced unless we can tell when they were installed.
What type of insulation is on the conductors?

Knightryder12

Occupation
I can't answer your question, but I'd be much more inclined to trust a Megger test of the conductors than simply condemning them for age. Conditions are WAY more important than age to conductor life.

Mark
Why would you megger a conductor that is relatively new? That makes no sense. The conductors are in EMT and in somewhat of a controlled environment. And they have had no issues with said conductors.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not an NFPA 70 rule.
That would have been a major thing to have missed.

As to the OP's question, I would think the facility people should be able to tell you.

Or maybe the local electrical inspection department can tell you.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Color coding is not a thing now, so it wasn't a thing any earlier either. You could almost always BUY wire with different insulation colors if you had more money than sense, but most people just use phasing tape.

On the other hand if you can see a length of that cable (i.e. not in conduit), there might be a manufacturer's name and lot number printed on it. If that manufacturer still exists, they may be able to give you a date range.

Still... it seems silly to me to rely on nothing by a date to determine if a cable is in good shape. That's what meggers are for!

Knightryder12

Occupation
I'm not aware of any insulation color rules for #4 and larger. I've seen it sold, but didn't know it's a rule.
I did not say it was a rule. But it has become more popular because it makes it easier to not mix up the phases that could happen with all black conductors and phase tape.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Why would you megger a conductor that is relatively new? That makes no sense. The conductors are in EMT and in somewhat of a controlled environment. And they have had no issues with said conductors.
How is meggering a "relatively new" conductor an issue for you, but replacing it isn't?? :unsure: Especially if meggering is the only way to prevent the replacement?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I did not say it was a rule. But it has become more popular because it makes it easier to not mix up the phases that could happen with all black conductors and phase tape.
Because it is more readily available and typically there is no cost difference it is slightly cheaper than putting tape on black conductors.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Can anyone tell me when the color coded insulation for the large (#4 and above) wire has been around? I sort of remember when I was in the field back in the late 90's and early 2000's that it was just coming out I thought. Back then, it was an adder to order it. So when did it become more prevalent?

This may lead you to your answer. and stated by others date code should be on cables. Megging would be your best avenue, even new wiring can fail.