Color coding EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

Are there any proposals in to require the color coding of tubing, such as orange for fibre optic, green for healthcare, etc? :-? Does anyone know of this being a local requirement? I sure can't find it in the NEC. :):-?

peter d

Are there any proposals in to require the color coding of tubing, such as orange for fibre optic, green for healthcare, etc? :-? Does anyone know of this being a local requirement? I sure can't find it in the NEC. :):-?

Definitely not an NEC requirement.

Job specs are the most likely requirement that would dictate color coded EMT.

wbalsam1

Thanks guys. I'm a peer reviewer for a publishing company refereeing between them and an electrical author and this has come up. It's gotta be something localized. :)

What's the name...? Urban myth? lol

There are manufacturers who are marketing their products, using color conduits. It is a clever idea, and I am starting to see other then the standard gray conduit being installed. Red is the next color in regards to the different colors.

I am also seeing the use of EMT with the factory made coupling on one end showing up on jobsites more often lately as well.

And NY is usually the last state to see the new market products being sold/installed.

480sparky

i was just thinking i read that before ... i think you posted a link on red conduit....

Allied makes red for fire alarm, as well as other colors.

truecolor.jpg

wbalsam1

I certainly would not object to color-coding conduit/tubing. When inspecting r/w's over the years it was quite a bit more time-consuming...ah, but when yellow NM showed up and the EC's had run out of their white 12 gage NM's, life got simple. Now it's a piece of cake to follow a wiring scheme with orange for water heater, dryer, etc., yellow for 20 amp and white for 15.

I'm all for green tubing for health care, red for fire alarm, orange for fiber optics, blue for data, yellow for----?:)

nhfire77

Yellow for Security/Burg/ Access Control. Some government buildings are requiring cabling to be yellow and the fittings, Blanks in EMT to be colors corresponding. Orange is another one, is that emergency or?

Hmmmm RI requires a municipial circuit conductors to be purple, maybe the pipe is next.

peter d

Hmmmm RI requires a municipial circuit conductors to be purple, maybe the pipe is next.

[Sound of game show buzzer]

The municipal circuit conductors between the FACP and the master box are required to be orange. The conductors between the box (assuming it's a telegraph box) and municipal loop have to be black and white.

Purple is required for auxiliary 24 volt power.

480sparky

What y'all gonna do when the EMT is exposed, and the painter comes along and plasters the whole kit-n-kaboodle the same color?

nhfire77

[Sound of game show buzzer]

The municipal circuit conductors between the FACP and the master box are required to be orange. The conductors between the box (assuming it's a telegraph box) and municipal loop have to be black and white.

Purple is required for auxiliary 24 volt power.

My bad, I dont do work in RI, I heard it was something wacky. I get the orange, so it matches the box wiring.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Make a proposal, or perhaps one was submitted for the 11 and you can comment on it.

wireguru

i hope this never becomes a requirement. In areas where they will be seen, i like my pipe racks all silver (or painted) -I think i would throw up a little every time I looked up if the pipe racks looked like the rainbow you see on the back of 'certain' people's vehicles....

Status
Not open for further replies.