color of insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsy

is there some wher in the nec that says you have to use certain color wire for specific installations as far as 110v 277v and so on thank you

patsy

ok i figured ive been looking all over and no find thanx . i had an inspector friday tell me i couldnt use the yellow travler wire because its not 277 its 110v for lights and was used for outlets to

celtic

ok i figured ive been looking all over and no find thanx . i had an inspector friday tell me i couldnt use the yellow travler wire because its not 277 its 110v for lights and was used for outlets to

Do you have both voltages in the premises?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
if there is only 1 voltage system ON THE PREMISES then you are fine.
You might want to look at 210.5(C) just for future reference.

e57

Just do what he wants, and make a mental note about him...

patsy

thanx augie actually on premis(in the builing) there is 110 and 208 bt the lights and outlets r coming out of the 110v panel. im thinkin its just what this inspector wants.

daleuger

I have a real bad/good habit of finding pink or purple or some outlandish colour for travelers. Heard of but haven't seen purple used for 277/480 so it's worked out thus far. :grin:

480sparky

Yeah - Sometime you have to save the 'good fight' for a 'good fight'. For the most part you cant preach to the converted, or change the mind of the convinced.

Pull out a Code from 1937 through 1975, and you'll find a color code for ungrounded conductors. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
thanx augie actually on premis(in the builing) there is 110 and 208 bt the lights and outlets r coming out of the 110v panel. im thinkin its just what this inspector wants.

I'm confused, you have one voltage system in the building 208Y/120 volts?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
yes thats correct 120/208

OK, then as the others have said your ungrounded conductors can be just about color besides the colors specified for grounding and grounded conductors. I even have brown,yellow,orange and gray conductors in my own house. :cool:

What reason did the inspector give for not allowing a yellow traveler when the building only has one voltage system?

Status
Not open for further replies.