Colorado RW TEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosefes

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I have a few questions that I hope you can help with...

I am getting ready to take my Colorado RW test very soon, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on what I need to be focusing my studies on and also what sort of questions I might see on the test.
Unfortunately I have never been in electrical classes or "union" type apprentice training. All of my knowledge has been from learning hands on in the field, so I feel I have missed out on a lot of the "book" training.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Dave

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Dave, welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend taking Mike's simulated journeyman exam. The RW and JW tests here in CO don't focus much on theory, they lean heavily on you being able to find sections in the NEC.

Hang out here, try to answer questions people ask, with your codebook in your lap. It helps a lot with navigation through the NEC.

Whereabouts you at? :)

Bosefes

Thanks for the info George, I live just outside of Grand Lake, CO near the southern entrance to Rocky Mtn National Park.
I've enrolled in "The Contractors School" and I will be going down this weekend to take that class. I'm a little unsettled about it because like I said, I have never recieved ANY code book training other than what i've done on my own. I will definitely take a look at that journeymans exam also.

Dave

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Does it always take an entire day for a reply to get approved and posted??
Only when the moderators get busy and forget to look - sorry for the delay. Your posts will appear instantly now. :)

Thanks for the info George, I live just outside of Grand Lake, CO near the southern entrance to Rocky Mtn National Park.
Well, if you ever come down the hill on my side I'll buy you a beer. :cool:

I've enrolled in "The Contractors School" and I will be going down this weekend to take that class. I'm a little unsettled about it because like I said, I have never recieved ANY code book training other than what i've done on my own. I will definitely take a look at that journeymans exam also.
Let me know what you think of the class, I haven't heard of that one.

I can't emphasize enough how much your knowledge and navigation of the NEC will improve by participating in some of the more code-intensive discussions around here. I first found this site about a year after getting my RW, it made the JW and the ME a lot easier when the time came. :)

Riograndeelectric

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I have a few questions that I hope you can help with...

I am getting ready to take my Colorado RW test very soon, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on what I need to be focusing my studies on and also what sort of questions I might see on the test.
Unfortunately I have never been in electrical classes or "union" type apprentice training. All of my knowledge has been from learning hands on in the field, so I feel I have missed out on a lot of the "book" training.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Dave
I know what that is like. I missed being enrolled in school when I was an apprentice due to floating from company to company back in 1980s when works was slow
I took several classless at Red Rocks community college in Lakewood you might check out Red Rocks College. Is you employer a member of IEC?
IEC Rocky mountain chapter does offer J man prep courses although this might be hard for you since you live up in the Mountains.

I wish I had known about Mike Holt when I took my masters exam. I recommend mikes J man exam book and the use of this forum.
This is an excellent site to learn form the many talented members and moderators. Feel free to pm me and I will try to assist you in your studies when I can.

Bosefes

Riograndeelectric, I appreciate the offer. I took my RW test today and I passed! I finished in an hour, over all I thought it was fairly easy. On a side note though, it didn't really seem to have much to do with my job, more of,,, can you read the question carefully to make sure there's nothing hidden in it and then find the answer in your code book. Anyway i'm glad it's over, now it's time to start looking towards my journeyman and find a job since i'm laid off. Anyone Hiring???

Thanks again guys for the help and advice

Dave

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
:cool: Good job on your test! :cool:

On a side note though, it didn't really seem to have much to do with my job, more of,,, can you read the question carefully to make sure there's nothing hidden in it and then find the answer in your code book.
That's what I recall too. The JW and ME rely more on calculations than that.

Anyway i'm glad it's over, now it's time to start looking towards my journeyman and find a job since i'm laid off. Anyone Hiring???
Not that I've heard, I will ask around as time permits.

Status
Not open for further replies.