Colored Romex NM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpal

From southwire NM http://www.southwire.com/retail/simpullTHHN.htm
NonMetallic sheathed cable, building wire. (See also Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable).
return to index

NMC
NonMetallic sheathed cable, Corrosion resistant, used in wet or dry location up to 60?C.
return to index

NMD90
Non Metallic, Dry rated 90? C, 300 volt rated
return to index

310.11 (C) Suffixes to Designate Number of Conductors. A type letter or letters used alone shall indicate a single insulated conductor. The letter suffixes shall be indicated as follows:
(1) D — For two insulated conductors laid parallel within an outer nonmetallic covering
(2) M — For an assembly of two or more insulated conductors twisted spirally within an outer nonmetallic covering

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
From southwire NM http://www.southwire.com/retail/simpullTHHN.htm
NonMetallic sheathed cable, building wire. (See also Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable).
return to index

NMC
NonMetallic sheathed cable, Corrosion resistant, used in wet or dry location up to 60?C.
return to index

NMD90
Non Metallic, Dry rated 90? C, 300 volt rated
return to index

310.11 (C) Suffixes to Designate Number of Conductors. A type letter or letters used alone shall indicate a single insulated conductor. The letter suffixes shall be indicated as follows:
(1) D ? For two insulated conductors laid parallel within an outer nonmetallic covering
(2) M ? For an assembly of two or more insulated conductors twisted spirally within an outer nonmetallic covering

Really does not answer the color question. Does Canada require blue for Arc Fault circuits?

kbsparky

BEWARE of the Canadian romex. NM-D has a reduced ground wire, and is not suitable for any wiring in the US! Their 12-2 has a #14 ground, for example.

Jim W in Tampa

Sounds like good idea but it is making it more costly to keep them all on the truck. Also if you don't do houses often it leaves you with added wasted material. Glad i dont do houses anymore. Keeps geting harder and harder

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I agree, too much to keep up with. I do like what we have here now with the white 14, yellow 12 and orange 10 cables. Quick and easy to spot when needed. I use to see 14 and 12 get mixed up a lot, never now. Easier to track existing ckts too, following ckts around in crawlspaces.

I've seen ads now for nm with 2h, 2n, labeled as 12-2-2. Carry 1 HR to kit and split at boxes, don't have to use dp breaker. Saves a little time with HR wires.

TOOL_5150

Im gutting a house now and has the old white #12 romex... the 12/3 is as big as todays 10/3

I miss the old wire. That stuff would never tear, and it just seemed softer to work with.

~Matt

ty

Who would want to stock the RED stuff.

It seems to make more sense to have less waste by stocking standard 2-conductor and re-identifying the WHITE.
More waste = Not good.

jetlag

Don't know but it has a red wire and black wire with a bare ground, no neutral.

They use it for 208/240 v baseboard and wall heaters , so dont need neutral, but we shouldn't concern ourselves, we cant use the #14 ground here , but there was a time we could use it. I think it is nice and neat not to have to tape the neutral black for hot. If the NEC gets wind of this they might well decide to get a different color wire for the arc fault and they will probably wish U S had thought of it first, anything to make things more complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.