Comcast installed new cable- ground wire questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Comcast rep just left my house and installed new cable to my house and grounded the cable wire to a water spigot on my house. Is this the correct way to do it or should he have Renee ground wire underground directly to the electrical panel? My next question is if he does run the ground wire to the electrical panel it is a 45-foot run does that diminish the ground actually working because of the long run. Or is this okay?

My kids will be playing in the water in the faucet so I want to make sure it's not a hazard.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I suspect the cable guy was looking for a ground. If the water lines are metallic and bonded then it would be okay however it would be best to have a wire from the panel stubbed out to connect the tele and cable gtrounds wires.

chris1971

I suspect the cable guy was looking for a ground. If the water lines are metallic and bonded then it would be okay however it would be best to have a wire from the panel stubbed out to connect the tele and cable gtrounds wires.

Or have an Intersytem bonding terminal available.

JFletcher

Provided the water pipe is bonded to the service, and metal from there to the spigot (no PEX or PVC) his install is correct per 820.93(B) (2008 NEC). It has to be grounded at the closest practical point (820.100(A)(4)). The insulated green wire is correct as well provided it's 14ga or larger.

eta: Welcome to the forum. Your profile indicates you are not in the electrical field, however the mods typically allow safety or informational questions such as your, provided you arent trying DIY work.

If you feel there may be a safety issue, call Comcast and ask them if they verified your water lines are a good ground. If they didnt, or you still arent comfortable with the answer they give, call a licensed electrician; he will be able to check that the installation meets code and is safe.

(Hint: if the Comcast guy didnt go into the crawlspace, or to the panel, or where your water heater are, then it is unlikely he verified your pipes are all metal and properly bonded).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.